Blocked pipe from cold water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got directed here after posting for help on my bike club forum.

Right, I have a cold water tank in the loft that feeds the downstairs loo/sink and the utility room sink/washing machine.

The cladding that sat over the top of the tank has at some point fallen into the tank and over time it has broken down and filled the tank with fibre glass. This has now blocked the feed from the tank to the rest of the house.

I have turned off the water into the tank so it is no longer filling and have left the tap on in the util room so it drains the tank, all be it very slowly. I have taken the tap in the loo apart to see if the fibre glass had blocked up around the washer and stuff but it is as clean as a whistle so I assume the blockage is higher up nearer the tank.

So my question is how the xxxx do I get the pipes cleared?

Sponsored Links
Assuming the pipe also feed the bath, then that would be the best place to remove the blockage.

Open the bath tap and refill the tank to give the blockage more pressure. If it gets into the wc cistern and the smaller taps then removal to clean and possible replacement of pipes is on the cards

Thanks doitall

Just got told this one on my bike club forum, if I attatch a mains fed hose to a gravity fed tap, open the tap and use mains pressure to 'push' the blockage back into the tank, bit like getting rid of an air lock in the hot water system, what do you reckon on that idea?

Sponsored Links
If you get stuck give us an eMail .....always happy to help fellow bikers .I`ll load some tools in the combo ;) Don`t expect you`ll have much trouble tho`

It usually tends to block in the gate valve on the outlet of the tank so you can syphon most of the water out and collect the rest in a bucket when you undo the valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back