Radiators cold upstairs - hot down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed to remove all of the radiators in my house to paint them - I also changed the copper tank. When I put back the radiators - I noticed that the rads are hot downstairs, but cold up.

I have blead for ages - no luck - I only get water out - no air. I also noticed that the tank in the attic is hot - is this normal.

Any suggestions - thanks

Robert

Sponsored Links
Try closing downstairs rads and see if upstairs heats. If that doesn't work then also close all but one upstairs rads. If that one heats open others one at a time. You may have airlock somewhere so you will need to keep bleeding rads if air lock moves.

Hot water in Feed & expansion tank is due to "pumping over". It may be related to rad problem. It is a common problem in sludged systems which needs fixed. See many threads on this.

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried turning off all radiators except one - no joy.

I am sure there is no sludge in the system - because when the radiators were removed, I ran water through them - to clean them out. I got some black water - no sludge.

Any other suggestions??

Robert

Sponsored Links
I eventually found that there was a gate value in the system that had broken and couldn't be opened - I replaced it with a 310 [don't really need a gate valve] - everything works.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Robert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back