Hot water not working on Oil boiler. Only works when CH on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Firstly let me say this site is a mine of info so well do!!!

My problem is probably fairly simple. i have a bog standard CH system. It is an oil boiler, with a hot press and 2 tanks in the roof. Usually i run it on the Ch/HW setting and all the radiators work and the water heats up. Tickety boo.

Now that we are in summer time i just want to run the system to heat the water only. When i do this the boiler runs for about 10 mins and the pipe coming out of it get hot and then the boiler shuts off and doesn't come back on again.

I followed the pipe into the house and up the stairs and it runs up past the immersion heater and up into the roof. However the pipe is hot until it gets just up past the immersion and then goes cold before it goes into the roof.

I cant see anything that looks like a motorised valve or anything?? Why would i have no hot water?? Would it be an airlock?? Also can someone gives me an idiots guide to how mys stem works??

Thanks in advance guys

Sean

Sponsored Links
Hi kev and cheers for the swift response.

The header tank is full of water and working fine

Sean

Still no hot water guys. any advice????

Cheers

Sean

Sponsored Links
blocked cold feed
or
sludge .
or
maybe the tank coils are limescaled up real bad.

i presume your hi limit stat aint coming on on the boiler is it?

Is the pump working in hot water mode or are the primaries gravity

Hi there,

The pump does not run when in hot water mode so i assume it is all gravity fed. It is quite an old system.

Back over to you!!!!

Sean

Hi guys,

I have been going through the site trying to find a solution. Vould it possibly be an airlock?? Or would this still apply when the central heating was on. I am baffled now to be honest.

PLease help!!!!

Sean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back