MEM RCBO Pods

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
As some will know, MEM have a particularly brilliant way of attaching a small RCD module to the top of any of the Memera/Memshield 2/Eaton MCBs, where it trips the MCB with a small trigger through a concealed aperture in the MCB.

You can buy the RCBOs assembled, or you can attach this "pod" to any existing MCB.

I like RCBOs, and MEM (it is very popular in industrial installations) and use several of these. I wanted to move a pod from a redundant 32A RCBO to a 5A MCB, but can't see how to get the pod off. It was probably factory assembled. I can't see if it is just snapped into position or if there is a hidden retainer. I don't mind damaging the old MCB, but the pods are relatively expensive.

Does anyone know the trick?

Sponsored Links
IIRC the pod clips ON from the back first and is held in place by the bit at the front where the test button is (where the bit of plastic that you throw away normally is) I don't remember anything else holding it in place. So I would think that you would remove it front first (but I have never had to remove one so I'm not certain)

HTH

Rob

Thanks, hmmm, (tug, pull, wiggle) yes, I know the bit you mean... doesn't seem to have any movement though. I wonder if there's a sprung prong that's holding it together?

I can see daylight through where the two parts meet at the top, and the back looks like a snap fastening... I have a feeling that if I try to lever them apart I'll damage the trigger, though.

I've pulled off the surround to the test button now, it has a tongue but that doesn't seem to have helped.

Sponsored Links
No time for that, I've got RCBOs to dis-assemble! ;)

Done it! :)

For the benefit of posterity:

It was a snap-on. I had a look at a plain MCB, there is a groove on the front "shoulder" of the body, just above the part that normally protrudes through the front of the CU or DB.

With the Pod attached, it is not visible, because it does not extend to the sides.

The Pod has a little ledge that snaps into it, by the elasticity of its shell as you push it down, pivoting on the rear lugs.

MEM have kindly provided two tiny slots in the side of the pod just above this ledge, which a 3mm screwdriver fits into. By pushing one in the slot at each side, I sprang the front of the pod out by 1.5mm, the ledge disengaged from its groove in the MCB, and the Pod pivoted upwards and backwards around the top rear lugs.

Easy when you know how :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: and I still think it's a brilliant bit of engineering, especially as the same Pod fits into domestic and commercial CUs as well as industrial 3-ph DBs (the grey steel things)

Does anyone else make them? I have only ever seen the MEM ones. It would save having to stock loads of MCBs and then duplicate sizes in RCBOs. Also handy to keep a module on the van....

Do I get half a point? I was nearly right with how to remove it! :D

You certainly get at least half a point! I might have ended up taking a hacksaw to it otherwise!

I'm pretty sure they're the only UK maker with this clever design.

But it fits at least Eaton, Memera 2000 (and AD) and Memshield 2 breakers, which are all the same (apart from the badge engineering and the industrial ones are mostly C or D with a 10kA break) . There may be others in the Eaton group (it's US owned now).

The little bit you pull off the MCB and throw away has the trade name on, so I suppose you could keep a handful of assorted name tags and cut down on stock duplication :LOL:

I guess they will fit (IIRC the now discontinued) Bill talisman MCBs aswell then

RF Lighting said:
I guess they will fit (IIRC the now discontinued) Bill talisman MCBs aswell then

You're right! I used to know that but I'd forgotten!

edited to say, I see the ones on Fleabay have been getting some bids tonight ;) Who's ashlea7447 ?

No time for that, I've got RCBOs to dis-assemble! ;)

Done it! :)

For the benefit of posterity:

It was a snap-on. I had a look at a plain MCB, there is a groove on the front "shoulder" of the body, just above the part that normally protrudes through the front of the CU or DB.

With the Pod attached, it is not visible, because it does not extend to the sides.

The Pod has a little ledge that snaps into it, by the elasticity of its shell as you push it down, pivoting on the rear lugs.

MEM have kindly provided two tiny slots in the side of the pod just above this ledge, which a 3mm screwdriver fits into. By pushing one in the slot at each side, I sprang the front of the pod out by 1.5mm, the ledge disengaged from its groove in the MCB, and the Pod pivoted upwards and backwards around the top rear lugs.

Easy when you know how :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: and I still think it's a brilliant bit of engineering, especially as the same Pod fits into domestic and commercial CUs as well as industrial 3-ph DBs (the grey steel things)

John, I found this thread using search as I need to do the same thing!

One small modification to the process:
For removal of the POD you need first to remove the black DIN-rail securing clip. Its simply held in by the central part of the assembly and comes out if you prise it gently.

The POD then comes out as you describe. You have to remove that clip as it prevents the POD swivelling backwards. Think you need to take it off to assemble too.

Thanks for the research - I had a POD on a B32 and need it on a B6 (bathroom, you know).

Me happy sparky now! :D

Remove the black DIN rail clip by giving the top of the black clip a sharp tap down towards the MCB.

Remove clip completely.

Remove front MCB cover above the 'dolly' using your nail or a screwdriver.

Hinge the pod off.

BTW bear in mind the neutral cable size. IIRC on the field fit pods it's sized to be ok for any breaker up to 63A but the pods supplied with the MCBs apparently it's smaller.

Not an issue if you are moving a pod from a larger breaker to a smaller breaker but could be an issue going the other way.

Yes, this is true.

Field fit pods have a 63amp rated, but factory fitted pods do have a smaller neutral corresponding to the breaker rating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back