Spyware Doc High risk infection found running video clip.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Watched the video clip of the cabbie being mistakenly interviewed as a legal expert.

www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52322&sid=e07d8b2636bd3c25be8c4452238ec444

Great laugh but when running Spyware Doctor before closing down my laptop it throws these errors:

Scan Results:
scan start: 15/05/2006 15:53:54
scan stop: 15/05/2006 16:06:26
scanned items: 58513
found items: 5
found and ignored: 0
tools used: General Scanner, Process Scanner, Hosts scanner, LSP Scanner, Registry Scanner, Browser Defaults, Favorites and ZoneMap Scanner, ActiveX Scanner, Browser Activity Scanner, Disk Scanner

I am running XP and following the Spyware Doctor scan have removed the following entries:

Infection Name Location Risk
Trojan.StartPage.GEN HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\ActiveMovie High
Trojan.StartPage.GEN HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\ActiveMovie## High
Trojan.StartPage.GEN HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\ActiveMovie\Filter Cache High
Trojan.StartPage.GEN HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\ActiveMovie\Filter Cache## High
Trojan.StartPage.GEN HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\ActiveMovie\Filter Cache##0 High

Does anybody else get this problem? Is it anything to worry about? None of the other

Sponsored Links
I've run AdAware and Norton VirusScan today and found nothing. I still have the WMV on my disk (dowloaded it yesterday with DAP and autoscanned by NAV before running).

It may be relevant that I run a tight firewall, and don't permit cookies except for sites I expressly approve.

I run AdAware more regualrly than any other anti-spywarebut it never finds probs in the registry. It's only ever Spyware Doc that picks up probs with video clips.

I use the Zone Alarm and MS firewalls and always have cookies turned off.

Take a read :- here

Do you have a version less than Spyware Doctor 3.2.2? There is 'talk' on the web vine of an issue with 'false positives' regarding trojan.startpage.gen using SD versions below 3.2.2. ;)

:D

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Pip, very useful. How do you determine which version of Spyware Doctor you are using? I keep it updated pretty regularly. I think I will do what one of the posters suggested and simply reboot next time SD detects ‘trojans’. Bit worrying about false positives.

By the way the Norton Ghost you recommended works well, thanks again.

Don’t get any Trojans when I run this though. Try not to laugh.

chainsaw_masochist said:
Thanks, Pip, very useful. How do you determine which version of Spyware Doctor you are using? I keep it updated pretty regularly. I think I will do what one of the posters suggested and simply reboot next time SD detects ‘trojans’. Bit worrying about false positives.

By the way the Norton Ghost you recommended works well, thanks again.

Don't get any Trojans when I run this though. Try not to laugh.

<Help> <About> Not working or available?

Zapped ......
Zap-CM.jpg

;)

Hope you noticed the relevance of Ghost NOT requiring an operating system on the machine?
DOS on the floppy recovery disc does it ok!!
A good site ref. Ghost
http://ghost.radified.com/
;)

I've posted here before in the past regarding alerts of blocks performed whilst connected to this site amongst others whether this site has been vunerable to highjacks from dubious code or not i'm not sure but i know the alerts were suggesting an attack whilst viewing pages here.
these attacks were in the past and i havn't experienced any alerts in recent times on here, maybe Diynot have sorted out earlier problems? maybe my protection isn't up to the job anymore who knows?

Pip what version of ZA do you use? the freebie or the professional?
reason i ask is the privacy advisor pic above, does that function exist in the free version?

kendor said:
I've posted here before in the past regarding alerts of blocks performed whilst connected to this site amongst others whether this site has been vunerable to highjacks from dubious code or not i'm not sure but i know the alerts were suggesting an attack whilst viewing pages here.
these attacks were in the past and i havn't experienced any alerts in recent times on here, maybe Diynot have sorted out earlier problems? maybe my protection isn't up to the job anymore who knows?

Pip what version of ZA do you use? the freebie or the professional?
reason i ask is the privacy advisor pic above, does that function exist in the free version?

ZAP Zone Alarm Pro ....

'Privacy' ... I think not .... CLInK Here

;)

Zap.jpg

Kendor ... See the 'Privacy pages' from ZAP above.

The 'Privacy Advisor' - little pop-up box you asked about, can be shut off.
It merely informs when your privacy settings interfere with a web site you are visiting Does not really inform that one is under any sort of attack... Unless of course it is blocking something malevolent.

If a site does not behave as expected - for example browser shows 'download or file blocked' when a download is requested ....The advisor, if 'on', would usefully pop-up to show that, amongst other possible items, 'Mobile Code' 'Block Mime type integrated objects' was ticked therefore preventing the download.
The privacy settings can be assigned per named site under the 'Site List' tab , whilst other visited sites remain controlled by the 'Main privacy settings', shown above.

Mobile code control.
# Block Java script.
# Block scripts (vbscript, etc).
# Block embedded Objects (Java ActiveX).
# Block mime type integrated objects.
--------------
Cookie control.
# Block session cookies.
# Block persistent cookies.
# Block third party cookies.
# Disable web bugs.
# Remove private header information.
Expire cookies
# Immediately after receipt
or
# After selectable number of days.