Central Heating Wiring Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been struggling for the best part of a fortnight to re-wire my central heating system to a new 16 Terminal Drayton LWC1 Wiring Centre, each time I think I've got the configuration of the wiring correct I plug the Central Heating back in, switch and immediately blow the plugs 3 amp fuse! Most times I don't even have to switch the plug socket on, it just blows!! :eek:
I subsequently bought a 10 terminal Junction Box which I thought would be easier to re-wire to, was it heck!! :evil:
I have been without heating and hot water for near on 2 weeks, I've been in contact with Invensys who have tried to help but the wiring schematics they have sent to me are incompatible to my system for one reason or another.
All I am after is a sensible schematic diagram that tells me which colour wire to put where, the diagrams I have had so far have helped a little until you come to componants like the room thermostat, what is wire 3? what colour is it? Where does it go? Are there 3 or 4 wires servicing the room thermostat? (which is a bog standard, no frills Drayton room thermo)
and the cylinder thermo - whats wire C? what colour is it? Its a command wire, what does it "command"? Where does it go? Wire 1! Whats that all about? Where does it go? what colour is it? I have my suspicions that its a neutral wire? And it calls for something? What does it call for? Where does it call it from? And wire 2? Whats that? What colour is it? Where does it go? Why does there have to be this secret language of C wire? Wire 1, wire 2, wire sky-blue pink? why cant schematics just say this wire is red it goes from point A to point B? Whats the problem with that?
Sorry bout that :oops:
My system doesn't include a programmer which is where I fall down with the schematics I've recieved from various sources which have assummed that a programmer is used. All I have is a timer plugged into a normal plug socket, I also have a Boiler, a Cylinder Thermo, a room thermo, a 3-way valve and a pump. Why am I finding it such a trial? Can you feel the frustration yet?!!
Of course to add to the complication I could have burnt a componant out by connecting it to the mains when I think I've sussed it but I really cant stomach that possibilty right now and anyway the plug fuse instantly blows anyway hopefully saving my componants from any surges.
Please, please help if you can and if you've had the patience to read this at all!!
Cheers!! :D

Sponsored Links
Piltdown, with respect, Call in a Professional, you obviously do not know what your doing and without seeing the installation it will be hard for anyone to guide you through it.

The fact that you don't know how to identify the Room stat reinforces this conclusion.

Incidently, the fuse in any electrical equipment or circuit can only blow with power being drawn through it, so therefore you have wired things up dangerously wrong if the fuse blows when the power is off as you claim, because patently it is not.

CALL A PROFESSIONAL HEATING ENGINEER OR ELECTRICIAN, it will be cheaper in the long run.

I don't mean this post to insult or belittle, but the facts are the facts in this case.

:idea: Yeah you're right!
I'm tired and mentally exhausted by it all, I guess in the long run it'll save me money - I just hate being licked at DIY (or in my case BIY = Botch It Yourself!!).
I'll be on the phone (if it works!!) tomorrow and get a lecky in, sod the expense!
I'm a Psychiatric Nurse by profession, not bad for amatuer eh?!!
Cheers
;)

Good luck with it, I have done a few of these over the years, and even for a professional they can sometimes be a bugger if you lack vital information about some of the lit and what core from what equipemnt does what.

Takes ages to figure out sometimes, thankfully most domestic systems are simple once your there and can see the kit responsible for the headache.

I hope you have heating and hot wate very soon :)

Sponsored Links
My CH system (inherited) is a PIA.

I have a 3* Service Contract with BG as I am a useless plumber...

But whenever it breaks down, the guy sighs, cos it seems like it is overly complicated - valves everywhere many motorised a stat for every occasion. Awful. Still, I know where all these components are hiding now, so that's 1/2 the battle!

Hang on a minute! I thought this site was called "DIYnot"? Should it be renamed "DI Why? - when you can get somebody else to do it for you", or "DIY? - don't be silly you couldn't possibly do it, get a professional to do it for you". I thought the whole reason for this site was to access help and guidance with DIY projects?
I'm not totally niaive and stupid (as your reply would suggest) when it comes to electric wiring, I did a brief aprenticeship in electrical engineering many years ago. All I need is the information I requested to jog my memory and point me in the right direction, don't worry if I disappear in a puff of blue smoke and plunge my neighbourhood into darkness I won't hold you responsible!!
I'm sorry but your attitude stinks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back