Washing Machine producing creased clothes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our washing machine (CREDA Simplicity 1000) is 3 years old and has never given us any trouble. However, our last 2 washes at 40 degrees -our normal wash - have produced clothes that are very creased and, consequently, more effort to iron. Is something on the blink?

Sponsored Links
Has the constitution of your water changed? For example, did it used to be softened, or have you changed the soap and/or conditioner that you use in the washing m/c?

Or does have it a variable spin speed that someone has turned up?

Or are you using a different program?

Or are you washing different clothes?

Or leaving the clothes in longer at the end of the wash?

Or has the machine been moved to a warmer position?

Thanks for the response but the answer to all your questions is no. However, since writing the question I have noticed that there has been some improvement when the clothes emerge from the machine. Someone else suggested it might be something to do with the filter but I cannot verify this.

Stephen W said:
Someone else suggested it might be something to do with the filter but I cannot verify this.
Er, why is that?

Sponsored Links
Wish I knew! Something a man who runs a local appliance mending shop said to my wife at church recently - maybe he was touting for business!

Have you maintained the machine in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions? For example, if there is a filter, have you cleaned it?

I read the handbook from cover to cover and there is no mention of a filter. I have done the basic maintenance recommended in the handbook which basically consists of cleaning out the powder/detergent drawer on a regular basis and doing the occasional "dry" wash. The wash today was pretty good with only a very few creases so maybe it has been a temporary problem.

I'd start by uncoupling the waste pipe and giving it a thorough tapping up and down its length to dislodge debris. You might be surprised at how much comes out. If it's really bad then just renew it.

Then make sure that the standpipe or trap that the waste leads to is not constricted.

Thanx - will give it a try. Why should waste pipe debris cause clothes to become creased though?

Stephen creasing of clothes is generally caused by thermal shock, that is to say, cold water being brought on to warm clothes and warm/hot water being brought onto cold clothes. Thermal shock also appears when fabrics have been heated beyond the temperature that they have been designed to be washed at and also if dryed and designed not to be dryed in a dryer. (My wife needs to note this the next time she buys bed linen).... so if the problem persists then you need to be looking at the temp of the water in the drum and your water supply just in case your machine is allowing water that is too hot to come into contact will cold fabric or if the machine is overheating the water. A lot of machines are not designed with thermal shock in mind.
Also leaving fabrics in the machine for a long period of time after a wash can cause creasing thats why a lot of the new better quality machines have an anticrease cycle (machine tumbles for 4 secs every minute).
Also think of anything you may have done different on those occassions like.......the wife letting you use her machine.........putting bleach in the soap box to get those whites extra espeacially white......... or my favourite putting caustic soda in to remove the limescale instead of baking soda (a proffessional once told a woman to do this...lol).....there are a lot of silly reasons for creasing but nothing to get excited about unless its damageing fabrics.
Because at the end of the day all you have to do is introduce some thermal shock to get the creases back out ...yes thermal shock AKA Ironing ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back