Trade Paints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think i've heard it mentioned on this forum that Dulux trade paints are far superior to the equivalent non trade versions you can buy from places like B&Q in terms of coverage and look. My question is why one would then choose to ues the non trade versions... Is there some advantage to the average diy'er like it being easier to spread than trade versions?

Also, is trade paint supposed to be used only on new plaster or can it be used on walls that have already been painted. Basicallt i'm in the process of repainting all my walls downstairs. They are currently painted in Dulux pure brilliant white(non trade). Will using trade version give me a better look?

sorry if this has been covered already but I can't find the answers doing a search.

thanks
sanjay

Sponsored Links
Dulux Trade Paint is good, though, some of there Trade Paint if rubbish. One would by non-trade paint to save money. No Trade paint is not for only new plaster, though, u must read instructions of every tin of paint you buy & use. In terms of better look then that depends on the quality of which you are painting over ! Also dulux trade is different colour from dulux non-trade, even when they labaled the "same" colour ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

ive just used a dulux trade magnolia to paint most of my rooms with one coat,its pretty thick stuff and needs watering down but the coverage is excellent,first tin of non trade i used today was totally different,it needed two coats and was fookin expensive,and that was also dulux

Sponsored Links
So basically what ch427 is saying is that trade paint works out cheaper than non-trade because you can get away with a single coat?

Do the professionals generally need to water down trade paints? If so, by what ratio?

thanks
sanjay

i did a white mist coat on 6 month old plaster and one coat of slightly watered down trade magnolia and it looks fine

The problem with Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt is it is to thick and if used unthinned then the cutting in that meets the rollering can eventualy crack at a later date ! etc...................................

The difference between trade and retail is that retail paint smells a bit nicer and flows better...ideal for the DIYer.

But this comes at a price...covering power.

In basic terms they dont put as much pigment in the paint, they instead use chemicals called 'extenders' which give the paint a 'false body'..thats what enables it to flow better...imagine a bucket of water...add wallpaper paste to it..it thickens it up..but it doesnt make it opaque...just translucent

Same sort of thing with paint extenders.

Pro painters dont need these qualities as we are doing it every day..year in year out..we are more skilled in applying it.

Nuext time you buy a tin of ordinary retail emulsion...matt or silk open it and notice how 'thick' it is...then give it a good stir and watch what happens to it.

Thats the false body

Here the dulux offidial version...

What is the difference between Dulux Trade paints and Dulux Retail paints?

The key difference is the consistency of the paint. Dulux Retail paints are ready for use straight from the can. Many professional decorators, however, like to thin their paint before use and so Dulux Trade paints have a slightly different formulation. However, both Dulux Trade and Retail paints are manufactured to the same high specification.

Ready to use straight from the can?????..........

In other words...its thinner :rolleyes:

Hope that helps

Admittidly silk is thinner, but I have never had any problems with the 'Dulux' retail matt paint., I cannot believe how thick it is, you put a stick in it, and the stick stays in on its own the paint is that thick.
I have never know paint like it, sometimes, I cant even pour out of the tin into the kettle, I have to get the stick and try and stir the paint to loosen it up.

Cutomer see's you using trade paint (just thinks it's cheap cos it's trade) then he/she observes you thinning it with water. :eek:

I would never thin gloss (trade or otherwise.)

Growler said:
Cutomer see's you using trade paint (just thinks it's cheap cos it's trade) then he/she observes you thinning it with water. :eek:

I would never thin gloss (trade or otherwise.)

Never used Leyland brilliant white glue then?

Yep, some paints need to be thinned. Depending on many circumstances though..............................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back