DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

new plaster question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
andymarshal

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote

Hi, guys just after a bit of advice please. I hav recently had the upstairs of my property re plastered including ceiling and coving. everything as applied onto plasterbaords. i was told by the plasterer to use a cheap white emulsion watered down for the first coat which i did.

My question now is do i need another watered down coat or do i go straight on with my final colour the watered down emulsion looks really patchy at the moment.

also what is the best roller to use. i bought a harris tiger roller but some fibres seem to come out and stick to the wall. Do most rollers do this.

Thanks in advance for any answers given

Cheers

Andy
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Third_Eye

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote

What type of emulsion are you using ? Also, most rollers when first new loose some material which does go onto to 'say first four walls' then it should stop. I find the best roller is 9 inch Cage Roller Refills Long Pile - Red Stripe Woven Fabric http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/c/CDDACRY9LP/
 Alert Moderators
andymarshal

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote

thanks for the replies mate. the emulsion is just b and q own brand cheapo stuff. is this ok?
 Alert Moderators
Third_Eye

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote

When you say, "emulsion is just b and q own brand cheapo stuff" you need to be more specific ! Is it B&Q Value Matt Emulsion or B&Q Matt Emulsion or B&Q Vinyl Matt Emulsion or is it any of mentioned previously but in Silk or Soft Sheen ? Also, when you use cheap emulsion over new plaster then it can take up to 10 coats to cover the plaster ! But if you bought Dulux Supermatt for new plaster then you are gaurenteed it will cover in 2 coats. A lesson learnt for you.
 Alert Moderators
andymarshal

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote

sorry mate its the supavalue one abiut 9 quid for a large tub i think.

cheers
 Alert Moderators
jbonding

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote

andymarshal wrote:
sorry mate its the supavalue one abiut 9 quid for a large tub i think.

cheers

you pay for what you get icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
andymarshal

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote

hi, also forgot to mention i do not want this colour as my final coat so this is acting as an undercoat. dont know if this matters

cheers
 Alert Moderators
Gille

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:44 am Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps...I am DIY and no expert but I have just finished a room in my house that has been skimmed (ceiling and walls). This is what I did and the finish is excellent with 4 coats.

Skim plaster dry in about 7 to 10 days.
Yes, I used b&q value white matt as a base coat. It is already quite thin but I watered down by about 30%. The finish is patchy but no worries.
Did a second coat of b&q value paint watered down by about 15%.
Then I used Crown matt (Neutrals collection), 2 coats, the first thinned by about 5%.
I gave the walls a light rub down between coats and the finish is excellent.
I used a Stanley medium pile roller.
 Alert Moderators
Third_Eye

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Glad to here you had good results "Gille". However, if you used vinyl matt as a sealer and then as a finish coat then you would have saved 50% of your time. Also, "andymarshal" you state that the "supavalue one abiut 9 quid for a large tub is acting as an undercoat" ! No it aint cos it is acting as an sealer. The thing about "cheap" emulsions is most of them do not have instructions on them which is very dodgy indeed. Also, the best thing to apply over the supavalue is dulux trade vinyl matt and thin down first coat by 25%, and then apply a second coat thinned down by 15%. Then say about 1 year on or so coat with the same colour and use dulux trade vinyl soft sheen this time, as it is washable.
 Alert Moderators
andymarshal

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote

hi thanks third eye - i used dulux trade over the top and it looks great. can you use this emulsion as the final finish or is it best to use a washable paint ie something a little more dirt resilient ?. i noticed in your last post you said to wait about a year

thanks
Andy
 Alert Moderators
Third_Eye

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote

Yes you can use Vinyl Matt as an finish but it is not washable. The reason i advize to leave for a year once coated with vinyl matt is cos if anything should go wrong with the plaster (i.e. small hairline cracks or slight uneven areas) then you will get the full years cycle to notice any imperfections as the sun comes in at different angles in your home every season. Therefore highlighting possible imperfections which were not previously noticed. In other words you can fill these imperfections just prior to applying the vinyl soft sheen one year later (if you see what i mean). Cos if you coated walls with any washable emulsion at present then noticed imperfections after it (as explained above) and filled them, then you would create a small problem with Flashing of the filler that is on top of an washable emulsion (if u see what i mean). Though Flashing of the filler can be fixed in other ways, but thats another story.
 Alert Moderators
andymarshal

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote

hi, thanks for the reply, i have filled all of the little imperfections on the walls and i am happy with the finish can i apply the washable stuff over now or would you still wait. As a year down the line i will have carpets and furniture to mask and negotiate around. What do you think ? as i said i spent a lot of time filling sanding etc and i am happy that the plaster is ok.

Cheers
Andy
 Alert Moderators
Third_Eye

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:57 am Reply with quote

Make sure then that you "Touch Up" filler area's with a thinned down by 25% water Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt Emulsion. Then apply this mix with a roller but only on the filler area's, then allow to dry. Then apply two coats of Dulux Trade Vinyl Soft Sheen.
 Alert Moderators
simmy t

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote

Hi there, can anyone give me some advice? I recently had my lounge walls skimmed over. I left them to dry for about a week and a half and then applied 2 coats of Crown neutral matt emulsion. It covered fine but I have noticed that bubbles have appeared in the plaster. Does anyone know what has caused this?
 Alert Moderators
joe-90

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote

simmy t wrote:
Hi there, can anyone give me some advice? I recently had my lounge walls skimmed over. I left them to dry for about a week and a half and then applied 2 coats of Crown neutral matt emulsion. It covered fine but I have noticed that bubbles have appeared in the plaster. Does anyone know what has caused this?

Bad plastering. The skim has failed to adhere to the substrate.

joe
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: