tuning in a new VCR to your TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Can anyone give me any tips on the following please :

I bought a Sanyo TV and a Panasonic VCR 6 1/2 years ago and they work well together but as with all things the VCR is now coming to the end of its life so I bought another Panasonic to replace it. For some reason however the new VCR will not autotune itself properly with the TV and consequently the picture is poor quality, liney etc etc .....

Due to the age of the TV I cant find the instruction book on how to tune it manually and although I have tried to manually tune the new VCR it just wont work like the old one did, plus for some reason it wont tune itself onto the old channel either ...

Does anyone out there have any ideas ( other than buying a new TV or buying a DVD recorder !!!) on how I can manually fine tune these two please ? I appreciate anyone and everyones help

regards

Sponsored Links
bizylizzie said:
... the new VCR will not autotune itself properly with the TV

no. it won't. Can you see (e.g. looking through the TV tuning menu) what channel the TV thinks the Video ought to be on (this will be the old channel from the old video)?

First option - You ought to be able to make the TV auto-set up itself including detecting what channels it can find on the aerial and from the video. Does it work like that?

If not - second option - You may sometimes find the video signal is too close to a TV station (or in my case, RN radar in the harbour) so you can alter the video output channel. Can you see how to do that?

What model is the video?

Hi there
Tks for replying

New video is a panasonic nvhv61ebs according to the receipt....

I tried uto tuning the tv and it seems to think the new vcr signal is best on ch 7 whereas my old vid went thru on ch 0 and got a much better pic...

I thought maybe that having the two vids working simultaneously is causing the problem but its stilla crap pic from the new one when its working on its own .....

regards

Put a video in the VCR, press play, and tune the TV.

When it finds the video signal, save it, and then eject the video and tune the VCR!

Jees, its not rocket science.

And you CAN have 2 videos on the same TV, as long as they aren't transmitting on the same RF frequency (most have a facility to change the output frequency)

Sponsored Links
ones ive set up (quiet some time ago though) have a "test" switch on the back, switch it on and tune to the screen with two black lines...

I have a Panasonic NVHV60 - when you press the "Menu" button on the video remote, and hold it for 10 secs, the video display shows the channel it is transmitting on (and you can change it with the "CH" up/down button). Does yours do that?

What does the instruction book say?

Crafty's suggestion should also work.

But if you are using a Scart cable, it should receive the video output on play even without tuning.

thanks for the info guys - and yes I know its not rocket science but sometimes the simplest things are the biggest pain in the a** and I have just wasted half a day messing around with this ...

tried everything suggest - the new vcr works ( not as good as the old one ) but still dissapointed with it picture quality

can someone explain why I cant tape from vcr to vcr please - I know I sound like a complete idiot but i thought it was just a case of aeriel lead into one vcr, lead from one into the other then lead out to the tv - but for some reason one wont record onto the other ... and I cannot get the two vcrs to play on the same stationon the TV ... one will only play on 7 the other will only play on 9 . Lack of instructions manual for the TV doesnt help but the tuning via the handset works OK but still wont cure the problem..

If you are using a scart lead you will be able to view your machine with perfect picture by pressing the AV button on your TV remote

you can record from vcr to vcr best results with a scart

but you can still do it with the coax cable
the closer to the video the better [less drop in quality]
the video you want to record on to must be down stream [connected to the rf ariel out side]

if you had say 4 videos connected daisy chain looping from no 1 to no 2 to no 3 to no 4 to tv

whatever no1 is playing can be recorded on 2/3/or4

you could record from 1 to 4 and 2 to 3 at the same time whilst watching satelite all at the same time through the ariel connection

all you have to do as said abouve is make shure they are set for a unused frequency

and when your trying to tune in a video or tv everything "up stream"[before it on the ariel cable ]must be switched on and to save confusion have your favorate dvd or video playing so its easier to pick out when your selecting the channel to put it on

the only thing that normaly stops you recording is if its copyright protected

causing bad interference on the recorded picture[somtimes tape to tape or satelite to tape ]

At what point are you at just now. Your first post was to tune your video to your tv, have you done this because if this is not done and you now want to record from vcr to vcr and this will further complicate matters if you have two vcrs connected in series with your tv.If you simply want to copy tapes this is easily done and does not even have to be connected to a tv. It is done as follows.

1. power up both machines.

2. connect both videos together with a full scart lead to the scart sockets at the back of the vcr's to the socket marked with a double headed arrow symbol on the socket. (this indicates signal will come out as well as go into this socket)

3. either machine now is set and will be able to record or play.

4. decide which machine you want to record on and put your blank tape in this machine.

5.set this machine to a/v or input from the remote control (this means the vcr will record the signal coming into the vcr from the scart lead)

6. insert the video to be copied into the other machine (you do not have to make any setting to the play machine.)

7.At the same time press play on your playback machine and record on your record machine .

I would advise you do all recordings in SP mode even though the tape you are copying from may be a LP recording.

8. the tape will then copy from one machine to another unless the master tape is not encrypted to stop illegal copying.If this is the case a very unwatchable distorted copy is made.

As a previous post reply points out it is not rocket science but to anyone who has not done this before it might as well be, so do not be put off by smug comments as the majority of laypeople find difficulty with this technology.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back