Where can I get a reducer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitting a new bathroom sink and found that the waste pipe is 1 1/2inch (38mm) The new sink/trap is 32mm. I need a reducer. I've tried B&Q and a google search but no luck. :cry:

Does any one know where I can get a 1.5inch (38mm) to 32mm reducer?

Sponsored Links
Hi

A local building merchants should be able to help.

Online: screwfix.com

Hope this helps.

silentmonkey said:
Just fitting a new bathroom sink and found that the waste pipe is 1 1/2inch (38mm) The new sink/trap is 32mm. I need a reducer. I've tried B&Q and a google search but no luck. :cry:

Does any one know where I can get a 1.5inch (38mm) to 32mm reducer?

Now I'm no plumber but is this what you're after? Click Here

Sponsored Links
i have seen 40 -32 reducer like the small picture in b & q but not 1/2 inch reducer, the screwfix thing looks better

40mm is a nominal measurement to cover anything around that size. You need to check the exact outside diameter of the nominal 40mm pipe. It may be 43mm or 41mm, since there are two different standards. Most pushfit is the 41mm size and most solvent weld the 43mm size.

Sorry, I got the measurements wrong. I assumed 1.5inch/38mm from the drainage article. I've just measured the pipe with a vernier and the outside diameter is 36mm and the inside is 32mm.

A 32mm coupler is too small while a 40mm coupler is to large. So what size pipe is this? And where can I get a reducer to 32mm from?

32mm is also a nominal size. The pipe with an OD of 36mm is nominal 32mm. What sort of outlet does your 32mm trap have? Is it compression? It should fit the pipe. Again there are two slightly different ODs with nominal 32mm, so that may explain why some fittings don't marry up.

Thanks chris

The new sink is further away from the wall than the other. I first tried a 32mm to 32mm push fit coupler to extend the pipe but it would not fit. The internal diameter of the connector is 35mm where as my pipe is 36.3mm and therefore will not fit. Are you saying if I purchase a 32mm compression style coupler instead of the push fit it will fit? If so you've just saved my life...

Yes, a 32mm compression connector will fit both sizes of 32mm pipe.

Thanks guys. The problem is solved. All I really needed was a 32mm Compression coupler. So for the DIY'ers on this board let me summarize my problem and the mistakes I made.

1) I tried to extend the sink waste using a 32mm push fit coupler. It did not fit as the waste pipe is too large.
2) Tried using a 40mm push fit coupler. It did not work as the Waste pipe is too small.
3) I incorrectly assumes I needed a reducer because of some imperial/metric issue.

The professionals on the board have pointed out that the 32mm and 40mm are nominal sizes and in fact vary depending on the system used. (Push fit/compression or Solvent as in my case) And where these types come together then a 32mm Compression joint will handle all sizes within the 32mm range.

For the Professionals on the board: Sorry for stating what must be the Bleeding obvious. But you love us DIY'ers really as it gives you stories to tell your grandchildren.

Best bit of the story was plumbing with a Vernier :eek: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back