No hot water in shower, plenty at basins, sink etc?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone offer advice ?

I have an Ariston combi boiler. If I turn on any hot tap in the house, the boiler fires and I get hot water. The shower is fitted with a thermostatic valve, but a few months back I started to notice that the shower was not as hot, at the same setting, as usual. This continued to deteriorate until the boiler no longer fired.

I figured the problem was the thermo valve getting blocked up, so this morning I removed it, soaked the cartridge in lime scale remover (+ the shower head), cleaned out the valve housing etc. I put it all back together, but still not working. The basin right next to the shower is also fitted with a thermo mixer, and works perfectly.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be ?

Sponsored Links
the shower was not as hot, at the same setting, as usual
The boiler wouldn't affect that if it's a thermostatic mixer, so it sounds like the thermostatic cartridge has "gone". Some of them last one year, some twenty.
If it's a noname mixer you may not be able to get a replacement cartridge.

The basin mixer is unlikely to be thermostatic....

Thanks for the advice. I bought the thermo valve from Bathcentre, so will try and get a replacement cartridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back