Galvanized radiator pipes and joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Back again needing some help relating to my lockshield valve fitting.
Come across one radiator in my house which has a stubborn old fitting which I am unable to remove with grips.
Any tips on how to ease the removal? It was fitted with paste and fibre donkeys years ago (I removed some of the fibre under the joint, this worked on other radiators enough to allow some "give" on the joint). I was wondering if I used a heat gun to heat the joint would that help or be a risk?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you can get ALL the water out of the rad, then heating the joint will likely have the desired effect. But if there's ANY water left in it, it'll simply boil and limit the temperature to 100C. To release a hemp-and-paste joint you need to get it hot enough to soften the paste - ie. probably at least 250C, not 100C.

Time for the hammer and blowlamp.

Wack the joint all around with blows from your favorite piece of metal, (not hard enough to do damage elsewhere)

Apply flame to the fitting only not the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back