stop cock trouble

AL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trouble is I went to switch the water off and the handle snapped of in my hand- doh!

I can still switch the water off outside so not the end of the world but I wanna fix the indoor stop cock as i'm selling my house.

Problem is, it's in the most awkward place in the world and is going to be a nightmare to replace. Is there any way of fixing the current stop cock?

At the moment there is just the shaft with no handle bit on the end. The old one was welded on, it's not like the new ones that attach with a screw or whatever. Can I undo the nut on the old stop cock, withdraw the old broken handle/shaft asembly and replace it with a new part? Or am I going to get loads of washers and bits come flying out etc

Thanks in advance

AL

Sponsored Links
You make the stop cock sound like a Jack-In-The-Box, If you can turn the water off outside why not try and change the broken indoor stop cock.

It will be a challenge......... ;)

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Call out that `70`s cool cat.....Shaft.....the plumber and wait while he shafts you with a BIG bill :eek: .........No, you`ve got to take the nut with the shaft protruding ,off........then if you`re lucky you can get a BS1010 tap and replace the part complete ;) OR stick a dummy one on with araldite and keep quiet

With a certain amount of luck, the tap will be of a design that is still available. If so, and you buy a new one, you may be able to replace the internal working parts without taking the outer part off the pipes. If you can put up a photo someone may recognise it.

Sponsored Links
Soft copper incoming, galvanised in the building = expensive.

Big bill if you get it wrong, in fact I would suggest, not a diy job.

Yeah but, no but.....still a 1010 tho` ;) I know a ridiculously cheap plumber in Sussex.......come to think of it, just a ridiculous one :oops:

Every time I have had this happen to me, I just clean off the parts with wire wool & solder the head back on! It hasn`t failed me yet, mind you, once I`ve soldered the head back on & re-established the water supply I`m out of there sharpish, so who knows! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back