Boiler comes on when I flush the loo!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the water pressure turned up yesterday - the water company removed a plastic restrictor valve from the water meter and now we have around 2 bar of water pressure - not great but better than what we had. Since then if we flush the loo the boiler fan comes on after the loo has filled back up. Have you any idea why this is?? Its a Baxi Platinum 24 by the way.

Sponsored Links
Are there any "dead legs" on the d.h.w cicuit, ie in the loft etc ? :idea:

A "dead leg" is a section of pipework cold main or d.h.w that is still live ie connected to the cicuit that serves no purpose.Ie if you have had a combi installed but your installer has left the expansion pipe running into a loft area because it is supplying a bathroom tap but he has just capped off the end of the expansion pipe the portion that is redundant is a dead leg".Likewise if the cold main that supplied any water storage tanks in the loft have just been "capped off" these can be deemed as dead legs.Sometimes dead dead legs can cause a pressure differential in your water cicuit when you flush a toilet or open a cold tap enough for your boiler to think there is a demand.
Another possible cause is if you have a mixer tap or mixer shower that could be passing.
If it persists after all checks are sound you could install an expansion vessel on your main. :idea:

Sponsored Links
If it's only the fan starting momentarily, I'd suggest you ignore it. What's probably happening is that there's a sudden surge of pressure in the main when the valve in the cistern closes, which fools the boiler that someone just turned on a hot tap. (Probably, as suggested, there's a dead leg somewhere in the hot water plumbing beyond the boiler.)

If the boiler is actually firing up, that's a more serious problem.

If its really a problem then you could probably stop it by fitting a non return valve on the hot water outlet just after the boiler.

I expect the part removed from the meter was a flow restrictor rather than anything to do with pressure.

Tony

I was recently called to a property with dual flush valve cisterns installed. 18 months old and £ 250K. Valves had started to leak, unfortunately one of the W.C's was plumbed into the DHW supply. Combi on all the time as a result and the flexi-iso valve had been boxed into the tiling. Could have had a bath in that toilet it was so warm. Renewed flush valves and the guy is going to get on to the developer.

Since then if we flush the loo the boiler fan comes on after the loo has filled back up

If the d.h.w/cold main were crossed i think the boiler would fire when the cystern was re-filling,would it not ? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back