Apprentice required.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first toe in the water and I haven't tried to contact any colleges or anyone yet but-
Has anyone with experience of apprentices got any idea of how to go about finding (a good!) one?

Sponsored Links
Some of the Colleges have a placement service.

Unfortunately the ones they place are the ones who dont bother or are so stupid that they cannot find a place by themselves. But you could try!

They have to be under 26 to get the range of financial help.

If you want a trainee then its often better to look for somebody older, perhaps an ex serviceman as they are more reliable and serious.

Tony

Thanks Tony. In an ideal world I'd have both an older person and a 'boy'. I really need to turn over jobs quicker right now having gone from 'Things maybe getting quiet' to 'How am I going to fit all this in' within a couple of weeks.

Sponsored Links
In that case perhaps an agency person would be a better bet as you use them by the day when you need them.

The London Agency we have used supply a mechanical mate for about £8 ph and a plumber for about £12 ph.

The quality varies very widely, one fellow they were touting had a degree plus almost every plumbing qualification you could immagine. He came with his father who was a time served plumber. Many are Polish or Kiwi now.

The mechanical mates are more intelligent labourers who are not expected to know much but to be able to be taught to cut copper tube, fit brackets on walls etc. I had one for a week to clear out the machines and plumbing from a launderete. He was quite enthusiastic and one of those slightly lazy people who had never trained much but could have been made into a very good plumber.

I have had problems with their labourers, they are nearly all East European and speak hardly any English. One came and said he was sick but would send his friend instead! Thats a scam for getting an illegal worker into a job. He was reported to the Agency!

Tony

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back