wiring cable to cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just wired in my new electric cooker. The LCD display and hobs are working fine, but the grill and oven are not. Where have I gone wrong?

I am pretty sure that the wiring into the terminal box is fine - earth on earth, neutral on neutral and live on live so the problem is probably on the cooker itself. There are 6 terminals on the cooker, one of which appears to be unused, one is earth, one is neutral and the other three have red/brown cabling coming into them. I have wired in the cable with earth to earth, neutral to neutral and then the live to one of the 3 live terminals. There are two little metal connectors, which I have put in to join two of the live terminals, and one live to the neutral terminal.

Can anyone help??

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

there should be a diagram on the cover you took off to connect the cooker up... you have to put additional links into the other terminals of the cooker. look at the wireing diagram.

carlos

hi carlos, thanks very much for replying. I have looked at the diagram, and it shows only two links between three terminals. I copied this exactly the first time, and only the LCD display worked, so then I moved one to link a live/neutral, and the hob started working but not the cooker! I think I will need to keep fiddling with the connectors to try different locations.

any more suggestions gratefully received!

sorry i cant be anymore help, i've connected up lots of different models of cookers all having different ways of being connected! therefore i cant tell you what is correct.

If you state the model of the cooker i'll see what i can do,

carlos

Sponsored Links
It's a Frigidaire model CP605. very kind of you to help, thanks. the thing that's confusing me is that the diagram shows live cables into four of the terminals, but the cooker seems to have only three live terminals, with one unused.

I would get an expert to do it, only getting an electrician to even answer the phone, let alone come and do a 15 minute wiring job, is damn near impossible!

georgiak said:
There are two little metal connectors, which I have put in to join < . . . > one live to the neutral terminal.

what made you do that? Connect the 3 lives together.

EDIT: SET THE CLOCK!!!!! some models have microwave like shut-off relays built into the clock, and not setting the clock will result in the ovens not working. Our GAS oven has this feature.

aha! I will try it. thanks. I initially connected the lives, but nothing worked, so I fiddled around a bit....

thanks for your help

let us know if it works.

FYI, the 3 live terminals are so the cooker can be used across 3 phases in certain european countries. What they have in some places is 2 phases and neutral supply - they wire 2 terminals to one phase and the remaining one to the other phase. Their main fuses are quite weedy, typically 40A, so this is the reason many places are supplied with 2 or 3 phases.

here in the UK, 3 phase is only found in commercial premises, so 3 phase kit without motors can be wired to a single beefy phase (tech term there :LOL: ).

god that explanation was rough. must try harder. :eek:

I think I get it! I sell commercial premises, and I'm always telling people how they've got three phase, and I don't have a clue what it means! so that is actually really helpful, thanks.

Setting the clock seems to have fixed it! Thank you so much. Is it a problem that I have linked the neutral terminal to a live? Should I change it, even though it's working?

georgiak said:
Is it a problem that I have linked the neutral terminal to a live? Should I change it, even though it's working?

is there anything not working? if not, then leave it. it'd pop a fuse if it was badly wrong. Could just be 2 phase, with the third live not used, so one phase powers the hob and the other powers the oven and grill. Glad i was of help! Did the instructions not say to set the clock first? (or was it "if all else fails read the instructions")

The instructions were worse than useless! No, they didn't say to set the clock first.

The instruction leaflet only gave me one option for wiring the terminals (unlike the bosch one in your link) and what was confusing is that the diagram showed a link to a terminal which was unused (on my cooker, not on the diagram).

Anyhow, it is all working now, so thanks very much for your help. Husband will be very impressed when he comes back from his w/e away to find that I have wired the cooker AND set up the DVD/TV/Sky box and speakers!! This is a very handy forum, glad I found it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back