Connecting a dvd recorder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a dvd recorder for my son for Xmas and have problems recording.
The aerial goes direct to a freeview box, i also have a video connected which plays and records, however i can't seem to get a recording when i connect the dvd player.
Does the aerial go directly into the dvd recorder instead of the freeview? i know i have to be able to record from tv, i tried using a spitter but no joy. Do i need a degree in physics
Any advice will be truly appreciated as the said item may soon be getting thrown out of the window.

Regards

Sponsored Links
yes itshould be configured by first putting the aerial into freeview box then connect a rf lead from the freeview box output into the dvd recorder input then another rf lead from the dvd recorder output into the video recorder input then another rf lead from the video recorder output to the tv aerial socket. This would feed terrestial signal to all items but really you should not have the video recorder in line if you have replaced it with a dvd recorder.Without the video recorder I would set it up as follows.

1. aerial lead to freeview box input
2. rf lead from output socket of freeview box to input socket of dvd recorder
3. rf lead from output socket of dvd recorder to aerial input of tv.

this will enable you to record terrestial channels on your dvd recorder if required once the dvd recorder has been set up.

your scart connections should be
1. scart lead from back freeview box output (this socket is marked with either an arrow going out of a square or a double headed arrow indicating it is an in and out socket) to the input socket of the dvd recorder ( this will be marked with an arrow pointing into a square or a double headed arrow.
2. scart lead from output socket of dvd recorder to a input or input/output socket of your tv.

this configuration will allow you to

record terrestial on your dvd (but not recommended)

record digital pictures from your freeview box on your dvd via a/v select on your rcu (recommended)

playback your dvd on a/v on your tv

watch freeview on a/v on your tv

record digital channel from your freeview box to dvd while watching a different terrestial on your tv

record terrestial channel on your dvd while watching a freeview digital picture on your tv.

If you do incorporate your video recorder in this configuration it will most certainly cause some kind of conflict somewere along the line resulting in probably poor or patterning pictures.The recordings you need to keep or rewatch on video tape can quite easily transfered to dvd disc.

and finally yes you do need a degree in physics to set up the abundance of equipment that plugs into our tv,s these days.

Hi tockworth

Thanks for your early reply.

Your information is certainly most appreciated, i will give it a go the weekend.

I am sure most viewers to this topic will take your advice and use it in the near future, you make it sound so simple (which we all know it isn't)

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back