leaky tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mixer tap on my bath,it has been leaking and is getting worse.I dont know how to change the washer and how do I know which washer to change,is it in the tap itself or in the main body of the mixer?...

Sponsored Links
Is there a central lever on this pair of taps...?

Please try to desribe the taps more comprehensively or tell us the manufactiurer/model and we may be able to help you out.

Where exactly is the leak coming from...?

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Thanks for your reply.The tap is a mixer tap with a shower attachment.It has the standard fawcett style taps that you find on everything.It has a lever to switch between shower or bath tap.The tap was drip, drip, dripping and I was turning the tap tighter each time to turn it off, but now there is a constant trickle which seems to get worse the tighter I turn the tap...

Have you looked under the bath to see if there are service valves on the pipes attached to the taps ?

do you know what type of system you have ie combi or gravity fed ?

As first of all we will need to isolate the water supply.

Sponsored Links
The bath is boxed in with wood panelling.It's a combi boiler.I can turn water off at the water meter outside front door if needs be...

Ok so the water supply is not an issue you can turn off the main and the boiler and empty whats in the pipes out of the various taps.

To replace a washer remove the tap handle, and you will see the mechanism, unscrew the tap mechanism anti clockwise, once the tap mechanism is out you will see which washer needs replacing.

This may not cure the drip as you may have a worn 'seat' and this will need to be ground with a Tap Reseating Tool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back