Size of pipe to gas oven / gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting some central heating work done in a while and I am thinking about getting a baynut style outlet fitted oin the kitchen. The problem I have is that the pipe will have to run down the wall and I would like to chase out a channel for the pipe so that I can then plaster over it once finished. I would like to therefore know what size pipe will be used to supply a gas oven ? (so I can chissel out the size of the channel). I am not sure yet if we're going to have a gas oven or just have a gas hob.

Any thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
As you're planning on burying it in the wall I'd use galvanised steel just in case someone tries to put a screw or a nail in it. You're gonna need a pipe vice, some cutters and some stocks and dies. As we don't know distance from meter and what else is running off the gas pipe I'd put inch in just to be on the safe side. ;)

solo said:
....I'd put inch in just to be on the safe side. ;)

ok thanks - gives me an idea. I want to do alot of the chasing out etc myself so the gasman can concentrate on him job - esp with the prices they charge !

mark.carline you sure are doing a lot of work to your property...!

I agree with Solo and wouldnt personally chance using copper. It would be easier if you are installing it yourself to use copper but I think that you should look long term and although you would avoid nailing or screwing around that area, you may at some stage decide to move and the new owners will not be aware of the danger lurking behind the wall.

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Sponsored Links
Beans-on-Toast said:
mark.carline you sure are doing a lot of work to your property...!

yep - I guess its easier to get alot of the gas / heating stuff all done at the same time! Thing I hate about heating replacements (esp in our house) is that it means messing up three rooms. I am a firm beliver in getting one room done at a time but with having our boiler in the kitchen, pipework going though the bathroom and then storage tank in the cubboard upstairs this is not going to be easy...anyway....

Beans-on-Toast said:
....you should look long term and although you would avoid nailing or screwing around that area, you may at some stage decide to move and the new owners will not be aware of the danger lurking behind the wall.

To be honest I am not to worried about that - I think that most people know that they should check whats in a wall before hammering in a nail in it - Its the classic classic DIY cock up.

I guess micro bore (8mm?) is out of the question then ?

Iron pipe is great stuff esp. for gas and very resistant to nails. However it is not easy to work unless you are an old gasfitter with the right tools. If you are phoning round, ask if they are equipped to do it.

I would offer to hire you my tools if you were near Chichester (I am old, but not a gas fitter, and they are helping clutter up the garage).

mark.carline said:
I guess micro bore (8mm?) is out of the question then ?

It would depend on the number of gas appliances that you have in your home. It`s better to run any hidden pipework in 15mm to your cooker & then reduce it down, depending on the connection to the cooker. Get your local Corgi engineer to check out your house, he will advise on correct pipe sizing etc...or you can ask any competent Diyer`s that you may know..perhaps the local butcher. :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back