compression elbow joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i went to buy some elbow joints the other day but picked up compression elbow joints by accident.what i ar these used for just curious if i can use them instead of takin back

Sponsored Links
Used for gas or water, but if using on lpg must use copper olives. I'm not qualified for oil but since lpg is in same group I expect they like you to use copper olives also.

There was that answer nice enough?

philipcooper said:
what i ar these used for

same as ordainairy elbow joints, but by people who can't solder, also usefull if something will need to be moved (easy to undo)

the ordinary elbow joints i got can be unscrewed easily and did not need soldering these just go smaller in the inside of the connection.i thought they was to increase the pressure in your taps.anyone know otherwise

Sponsored Links
No they don't alter pressure they just alter flow rate. Presure is governed by the mains pressure or the hight of your cold water storage tank. To alter pressure you need a regulator. restricting the rate of flow makes no difference to pressure, but it does reduce the amout of water that flows at that pressure.

They can only be used on gas if the fitting is accessible after it has been fitted. i.e. not under flooring or concealed within a wall etc.

Paul Barker said:
No they don't alter pressure they just alter flow rate. Presure is governed by the mains pressure or the hight of your cold water storage tank. To alter pressure you need a regulator. restricting the rate of flow makes no difference to pressure, but it does reduce the amout of water that flows at that pressure.
so if i use them they will they make my taps run slower or faster

Bamber gaspipe said:
They can only be used on gas if the fitting is accessible after it has been fitted. i.e. not under flooring or concealed within a wall etc.
they are exactly the same as normal water plumbing elbows but just narrow abit in the middle.are u sure u cant use them on water

Sorry, you are misunderstanding.. you can use compression fittings on water, forget about gas, you are not interested in that. The only difference in a compression fitting & a soldered fitting is that if you are cutting into a pipe that has been filled with water & you need to rejoin this pipe to newer pipe then a good idea would be to use a compression fitting. The only reason for this is because if you try & use a solder fitting, because of the water that may still reside in the pipe, as soon as you apply any solder in won`t run or `seal` because of the water in the pipe.That is why you would use a compression fitting because you can seal the joint mechanically i.e. with a pair of adjustable spanners or pump pliers & adjustable.

Bamber gaspipe said:
Sorry, you are misunderstanding.. you can use compression fittings on water, forget about gas, you are not interested in that. The only difference in a compression fitting & a soldered fitting is that if you are cutting into a pipe that has been filled with water & you need to rejoin this pipe to newer pipe then a good idea would be to use a compression fitting. The only reason for this is because if you try & use a solder fitting, because of the water that may still reside in the pipe, as soon as you apply any solder in won`t run or `seal` because of the water in the pipe.That is why you would use a compression fitting because you can seal the joint mechanically i.e. with a pair of adjustable spanners or pump pliers & adjustable.
thanks for that answer i understand now cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back