Gas heater - old pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have an open plan house, with a spiral staircase, and we only have one gas heater that supplies the downstairs and the upstairs landing with heat. This is in our living room.

The current heater was only installed about 3 years ago. The pipework underneath (Just a simple pipe that connects the heater to the wall) is as old as the house, and the part of the pipe underneath the heater has, what i can only describe as 'green mould' on it. Is this something to worry about?

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
LiamC said:
(Just a simple pipe that connects the heater to the wall) is as old as the house, and the part of the pipe underneath the heater has, what i can only describe as 'green mould' on it. Is this something to worry about?

Thankyou.

Copper over time will tarnish, also if flux is not cleaned after soldering it will turn green & may corrode the copper eventually ....If you cannot smell gas at any time, then I would not worry.

When was the last time you had this appliance serviced... :?: It is recommended that all gas appliances are serviced once a year. Now may be an ideal time to start thinking about it.

We usually have the heater serviced once every couple of years, this is what we used to be told was enough. But we'll get it checked over again soon, thanx for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back