To plume or not to plume that is the question..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to quote on installing 2 boilers in 2 different style properties but both on the same 1970's private estate that had warm air heating installed, my questions are abut the "Nuisance factor" of a pluming boiler.
Property 1... The only place to install the boiler in this 1 bedroom flat is in the kitchen, no problems with anything else (consensate etc) but the flue will come out at approx 7ft BUT it is on a completely open walkway (No sides or ceiling to it) that people have to walk along to access the other flats. With a cage on would this still be classed as a legal flue termination? because it does not comply with the 2 metre boundary rule.
Property 2... The other install is a real pain and I have 2 options of boiler position, the first is straight forward except for the condensate will either have to be pumped under a concrete floor and into the bathroom waste pipes or it will have to have a soakaway put in (I have done neither of these before so comments on the best way would be appreciated). The other position is pefect for all the considerations except the nuisance of the plume again. It would be installed at a low level and the flue would pass out into a communal open air parking site for all the residents for the 10 or so maisionettes in the block. this is walled on 3 sides and has no roof to it, the neighbours would not have to walk close to the plume but this would obviously rise and could have a swirling effect on a windy day.
My question is the same with this boiler would it be classed as a legal installation with a terminal cage fitted and the plume angeld down by the Worcester extendable flue kit or should I go for option A and pump the condensate under the floor.
I would appreciate your help with this chaps.
Stuart

Sponsored Links
Property 1

Document J lists the boundary as being the center of the walkway. Provided this is 600mm from the flue terminal this should be legal. The terminal height guideline of 2.1 m in the assessment guide is not a legal requirement but you appear to exceed this.

You could always use a management kit to extend this further up; some manufactures have a simple 45 degree bend that can be fitted on the terminal. The terminal guide although strictly unneccessary (above 2m) may be advisable in certain "neighbourhoods" to prevent damage.

I would advise written permission is sought from the freeholder due to a. the property owner not owning the flat's walls and b. any possible comeback on the flue position (if say neighbours complain).

Property 2

The assessment procedure advises that terminals that discharge less than 2.5m from a car park space AND less than 2.1m above ground should not be considered. Presumably it is indicating its ok to discharge at high level. Again seek written permission.

Make sure the customer fully understands the flue position siting problems - you don't want to be undercut by a less scrupulous installer who doesn't take the time to check compliance.

In addition to the regulations the flue should discharge "where it will not cause any inconvenience".

Discharging over the walkway is likely to cause an inconvenience.

When I was helping a friend with a possibly similar problem the freeholders ( council ) told me that they allowed standard boilers to discharge but not condensing boilers and they considered the layout to be unsuitable for condensing boilers and therefore a standard boiler could legally be fitted.

Tony

Thanks Tony...
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you but PC had to have it's annual service.
I think you are right, it is definately a written permission job just to cover myself.
The plume management idea can't be used on the maisonette property due to it terminating under the window. I just have one of those feelings in the pit of my stomach that the best way is the original position and running the pipework through the concrete floor and installing a soakaway for the condensate. This way it terminates at the side of the building without the worry of Worcester swirling emissions creating a possible nuisance.
Can I ask you Tony.. I have never installed a condensate soakaway, are these sold as a kit over the counter and one size fits all or do I have to track down a specific one for the boiler I am installing??
Thanks
Stuart

Sponsored Links
There is a drawing in the building regs I don't own a copy, but the main manufacturers have produced a generic one fits all soakaway to that pattern, ask at the merchants it's about 12 squid. I've not yet needed one.

Most manufactures make a pluming kit now. The Alpha one can got up upto 12m. I know this because I was at alpha yestrday. This should take the plum problem away. literally.

Excellent... I will get my spade out and dig,dig,dig. If I find any Roman artifacts I will know that I've gone to deep.
Mind you I am not sure the Romans made it to Croydon. :LOL:
Thanks for the replies.
Stuart

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back