Removing toilet to tile underneath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We have a toilet which I am very happy with which as far as I can tell has a horizontal waste outlet. Now, if I remove the toilet so as to tile underneath it what should I be prepared for? is it as simple as taking the bolts out from the floor and loosening the waste outlet? I read somewhere that sometimes you have to break the outlet to remove the toilet. As far as I am aware the toilet was fitted last year and I really don't want to have to do that! Will i need to put sealant around the waste outler when i reconnect it or should it be ok as it is?
Any help would be great!

Sponsored Links
you may need one of there

p1062302_l.jpg
;)

The original floor underneath the toile was laminate. The difference in thickness between the laminate and the tile i will be replacing it with is about 2mm. Will this be a big enough difference to cause a problem or should it be easy enough? Are the outlet pipes a little flexible for this?

Sponsored Links
Your existing pan connector should be fine then, providing it is only about a year old. It may need a bit of a clean up with a scotch pad. A dap of silicone grease should help too. Get ready to buy a new one just in case.

What you should also be aware of is drilling into ceramic tiles for your new loo. Especially if they are porcelain. This can be a right pain if you havnt got the right drill bits. Make sure also that the tiles are laid totally flat so as to allow the pan to sit on the floor without rocking. Tiles with a natural rough look can make this worse. One answer is to also bed the pan edges down on bead of silicone just before the final tightening down. Another option is just to bed the whole pan down onto a big blob of rapid setting sand and cement ( no need to bolt down if done right ). Most plumbers merchants sell a handy bag for about 5 quid.

I was thinking about avoiding drilling through the tiles for the bolts by cutting the tile so that it covers underneath the toilet apart from a small area where the bolts are. Is this a bad idea? The tiles are ceramic so should i invest in a drill bit rather than attempt what I thought might be easier?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back