hot water air lock ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i recently replaced the hot water cylinder in my house due to leakage (we have very acid water, new cylinder every 5 years) . Now the hot taps gurgle a lot when you first open them although you can run a bath or basin full if you wait long enough. I suspect an air lock and wondered how do i get rid of it bearing in mind we have low water pressure as spring fed. Thanks in advance, STIX.

Sponsored Links
Short piece of house, attach it to cold tap, then attach to Hot tap, turn on cold tap.If what you say is correct & your system is continually airlocking I think I would investigate pipework configuration.

Bamber gaspipe said:
Short piece of house, attach it to cold tap, then attach to Hot tap, turn on cold tap.If what you say is correct & your system is continually airlocking I think I would investigate pipework configuration.

not forgetting to turn on hot tap too, and have some one in loft watching the water level in te F & E tank

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
not forgetting to turn on hot tap too, and have some one in loft watching the water level in te F & E tank

F & E nothing to do with Hot water...

Bamber gaspipe said:
breezer said:

F & E nothing to do with Hot water...

It is.

since he said
outinthestix said:
Hi, i recently replaced the hot water cylinder in my house

the cylinder is fed from the f tank in the loft

The cylinder is fed from a header tank..an F&E tank fills the central heating system ;)

outinthestix said:
I suspect an air lock and wondered how do i get rid of it bearing in mind we have low water pressure as spring fed. Thanks in advance, STIX.

I think that you said you fitted it yourself,no disrespect intended but did you know that when installing a cylinder the Hot draw off at the top needs to be on an incline upwards slightly & at least 150mm before vent,otherwise you will indeed experience an airlock, repeatedly.

No i didn't know that but the pipework was fitted by a good plumber years ago and i just replace the cylinder or any corroded pipe when it rots through, keeping the configuration the same as it has worked fine in the past. Thanks , I'll try the hosepipe trick tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back