Asthmatic CH Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My system is an open one, gas fired, 7 rads, grunfos super 4 pump and a worcester cbi boiler. expansion tank in loft. The system is I think, 20 years old, but we replaced the boiler 4 years ago. THE PROBLEM started about 4 months ago and is that the pump is very noisy when running, and the upstairs radiators need regular bleeding ie daily. When the CH is on, there is a loud gurgling through the upstairs rads. The pump and the aerator sounds as if they are taking breaths, drawing through some water then followed by a gurgling of air and repeating the cycle. Pump gets very hot so you can't touch it
I read various forum threads and consequently I have flushed the system with cleanser [left for 28 days as instructions] and refilled adding X1100 inhibitor. The tank was cleaned of a brown sludge. Water level is just above the feed pipe.
There has been no change in the symptoms. A gas engineer has suggested that the vent pipe may be on the wrong side of the pump[?], but as we haven't altered anything recently I don't understand why it hasn't always acted the same. Is the pump shot, or blocked?. Can anyone offer advise please?. Many thanks. :confused:

Sponsored Links
may be a blocked feed pipe or incorrectly configured. fill a glass with water and dip the vent pipe into it when its running, if it sucks some water up that will at least tell us where it is entraining the air from.

Let mee Entrain you :rolleyes: Robbie Williams..my money is on crap configuration ;)

Where did you buy the X1100 inhibitor?

I have never heard of it before!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Pump gets very hot so you can't touch it
the pump is very noisy when running

If the pump is hot and the pipes aren't hot leading to it then my money is on the probability that the pump is stuck.
The fact that its noisy is another pointer.

A system with a decent de-aerator properly fitted generally should not have air problems unless the ballvalve is stuck in the small F&E tank in the loft

ollski said:
may be a blocked feed pipe or incorrectly configured. fill a glass with water and dip the vent pipe into it when its running, if it sucks some water up that will at least tell us where it is entraining the air from.
Thanks for the response. The vent pipe sucked up a pint of water in less than 10 secs. Closing the valve on the vent pipe stops the rushing sound, but I'm not convinced that this is a good permenant solution!?. I used X100 inhibitor by the way.

Desktopmonkey said:
ollski said:
Thanks for the response. The vent pipe sucked up a pint of water in less than 10 secs. Closing the valve on the vent pipe stops the rushing sound, but I'm not convinced that this is a good permenant solution!?. I used X100 inhibitor by the way.

Closing what valve on the vent :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Get it turned back on and removed, before it blows up

Your system needs `close coupling` Cold feed & vent 150mm apart to eradicate air being introduced into system.

doitall said:
Desktopmonkey said:
ollski said:

Closing what valve on the vent :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Get it turned back on and removed, before it blows up
There is a valve on the vent/expansion pipe [there seems to be valves everywhere!], which I have PARTIALLY closed to minimise the intake of air.

Bamber gaspipe said:
Your system needs `close coupling` Cold feed & vent 150mm apart to eradicate air being introduced into system.
That`s what our family does, Bambi........Close Coupling :eek:have a nice day y`all

Never seen a valve on an o/v I would get someone round to reconfigure your system asap

p.s open the valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back