MYSON APOLLO

Well I do have to say that I did not know that! Nor have I encountered one either. Amazing what you can find out if you have the time.

The real Fela Kuti died about 1997 of aids and complications aged about 60. The Lagos police did not like his attitude to music or his down town music club and it was regularly raided. Most amazing was one occasion when his home was raided and his Mother was thrown out of an upstairs window!

Its always better to give the Nigerian police a few hundred niara otherwise they cause you a lot of bother. ( about 180 N to the £ at the moment )

Tony

Sponsored Links
Right, so if the hi thermostat (both hi and lo are situated top right of boiler on pipework shwouded by steel cover if memory serves right) is changed to act as a safety limit, it won't cause the pilot to go out, or is it wired as an interuptor?

Anyhow, for the price of them, and the working conditions and the poor visual condition whenever I have seen them, I would replace all three stats (if on this particular example there are three).

The cutout was connected to the gas valve on most Apollo models and not the thermocouple.

When I say modifications, it was a BG notice so probably most never got modified

Sponsored Links
More info. :LOL:

The first thing one should do when fault finding an Apollo is check;

Earth continuity, Short circuit, Polarity and Resistance to earth.

The OP could have sorted the problem by unknowingly moving a wire. :LOL:

So are you saying when we come across these we should defeat the high setting but leave it in series with the low stat in case it fails?

The OP speaks of pilot cutout not main gas cutout, but yes as you say wiring is a likelyhood, these boilers are usually all dried up like burnt toast by the time I get to them. We have an estate full, but the newer estates are no better off with their faulty Gloworm pcb's. Still, keeps me in a job!

They were all up in arms when they got their first water bill, dodgy batch of drop valves! Is there a good drop valve?

Paul Barker said:
So are you saying when we come across these we should defeat the high setting but leave it in series with the low stat in case it fails?

It was an modification, but can't remember how you re-arranged the wires, it wasn't difficult though.

If you see a label stuck on the appliance with the No 402c3582-01 then you know its been modified.

I will try and find out more.

Dinasaur BG man may know.

this mod would explain why universal thermocouple works and pilot is cutting out due to overheating.
the apollo relies on a minimum rate of flow of water through the heat exchanger(i believe it is stated in the manual).

well spotted tony

the worst diy bodge up is to use a universal t/c on these, buy the correct one for the boiler it will fit better and the tip will be in the right place
also make sure that the overheat bridge is correctly fitted between T/C and gas valve

one of the best boilers i've worked on have at least 50 of these on my books never give much trouble :LOL:

This thing about 'BG-only' modifications is a bit worrying! I've never come across the mod on 50 or so different Apollos. I also had a look at Parts Arena for the Apollo. No mention of it at all for any of the Apollos listed there, as far as I can see. And no reference to the modiied GC number either.

Bamber gaspipe said:
raden said:
It could be due to an air lock, it could be due to a blockage, it could be a pump problem

Stick to selling dodgy fans...Leave the diagnostics to the experts..i.e...not you..

Actually, I can't let thay one go really

I'm diagnosing faults over the phone on a daily basis, and its very rare that I don't solve the problem - even if its at the expense of selling a pcb. I consider myself to be as expert as most.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back