Some rads seem to have a mind of their own...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

As we're in the middle of a heatwave, I've turned the central heating off. However, my upstairs bathroom radiator seems to still be getting hot as do two of the downstairs rads. How can this be - the heating's turned off?!?!

Am I haunted by some dead vindictive heating engineer who wants me to sweat even more at this time of year or is there a more tangible explanation?

All help appreciated!

Cheers,

Dackers.

Sponsored Links
IF you have a 'conventional' boiler / hot water cylinder / cold water tank set-up, chances are that the rad in the bathroom (used as a towel-warmer?) is plumbed so that it gets hot whenever the hot water is re-heated or maybe whenever the boiler runs. Downstairs rads getting hot (if the boiler is also downstairs) sounds like 'reverse circulation' caused by warm (lighter) water rising in the central heating pipes when the boiler runs to heat the hot water. Stopping this involves draining the system and (usually) fitting a 'gravity check valve' on the heating return pipe. Cheaper and easier to turn off locally the rads that get warm during the summer!

Sponsored Links
Dackers

To post here, then answer saying that 'your not too well up on these things and you have no idea' (what your boiler is) is PATHETIC :rolleyes:

If you were blind I would accept this ridiculous answer as real (although most blind people are well organised) , I suspect you are not Blind but too lazy to even walk to your boiler and read off its name......! :rolleyes:

Buy this weeks 'News of the World', look in the Sunday magazine and on the back page Mystic Smeg will reveal the answers to all your lifelong problems. :evil:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Beans-on-Toast said:
Dackers

To post here, then answer saying that 'your not too well up on these things and you have no idea' (what your boiler is) is PATHETIC :rolleyes:

If you were blind I would accept this ridiculous answer as real (although most blind people are well organised) , I suspect you are not Blind but too lazy to even walk to your boiler and read off its name......! :rolleyes:

Buy this weeks 'News of the World', look in the Sunday magazine and on the back page Mystic Smeg will reveal the answers to all your lifelong problems. :evil:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D
:LOL: :LOL: Deckers you are haunted by the Divine wind from the digestion of Beans.............on toast :mad: :LOL:

Beans on Toast - clearly you don't seem to get the idea for these forums. Correct me if I am wrong but don't people seek help and advice here on topics that they are not experts on? If not, what is the point of having the forum? Also you clearly are someone who spends their life at home. I don't and so am not always in a position to check these things at the drop of a hat.

I asked for advice - not abuse. I suggest that if that's the sum total of your level then you stop looking at this forum - you're as useful as a chocolate teapot.

dackers, its called sledging. ask zinidane zidane.... :eek:

errrr. in fact i partake now and again. :oops:

no harm done, but nice to see folk go off like a exocet , now and again :LOL:

Parasitic circulation ;) You need to send more details .....ideally pics of boiler and gubbins in airing cupd.Kamikazi=Divine Wind :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back