Reinstalling XP?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Compaq Evo Laptop that failed to start up, so I thought OK lets just reinstall XP, I have the Compaq CD, went through OK until it came to registration, I have typed in the code that is on the label on the bottom of the laptop, but when I try to register, it tells me that the code is wrong, I have checked the code a few times now, why is it failing?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
When you say register, do you mean that the message appears when you enter the code or is it happening when you are tring to activate it?

This often happens with the OEM version of Windows, which will only activate a certain number of times (3 in my experience). You should have an option on the screen to activate by telephone. Call the number and you will either get an automated service, which will ask you for the old product id and issue a new one, or an assisted service, which will be an operator. You may end up with the latter in any case.

It can also happen if you make major hardware changes, but this is unlikely to be the case with your laptop

If the product is genuine, you will have no problems getting a new code.

I am assuming the disk you have is actually intended for that particular laptop and that you haven't keyed the wrong code.

Sponsored Links
Actually I found a set of re-Installation CD's, that installed fine, didn't ask me for key and when I log on it doesn't have Activate windows as an option on the Start menu, so I presume I don't need to, or is it likely to ask me when I surf the web or after some time (3 months?)

Thanks

Steve

It's likely that it will be ok. I would imagine that the original disk you tried was for a different XP build.

if you click start, then run, clear the box then put
%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A
(copy paste the above) and hit ok it will tell you if your windows is already activated. The chances are it doesnt need activating as it will have been preloaded with an OEM volume license version of windows.

Back