new bath leak!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plumbed in a bath today, there appearsed to be no leaks what so ever.

That was until i filled the bath, then emptied it, then a tiny drip appeared under the bath, but 2-3 inches from the waste, there is no damp from this drip back to the waste, so its not a run.

so i thought there must be a hole in the bath, so i filled it again and left the water in, but no drips what so ever. i left this 15 mins and still no sign of a drip. there fore i emptied it and low and behold drip, drip ,drip!

really cannot fathum this out as there is no sign of any hole, and like i say the drip is not near any join or connection...

has anyone come across anything like this, or can anybody shed any light.
bath was from b n q might this be the answer???

cheers

Sponsored Links
Do as you have done & fill bath. Completely dry beneath bath & where drip was using towel, empty bath. Using coloured toilet paper/kitchen tissue, ( I like pink ),pat around trap,checking tissue after each pat. Do same where drip was spotted. My money is on trap area.

Plastic or metal bath?
Not condensation is it?
I preferred the purple loo paper but you don't get it so much. Once joked with a lady about how out of fashion it was then she produced a roll from the cupboard...
If you have kids pinch some chalk and cover all round where you think it might be leaking with a coloured chalk.

I`m sorry but in my last post it suggests you empty your bath using a towel. This is ridiculous of course & should read: dry off beneath bath using a towel...then empty the bath.. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I always go into the bedroom to dry off. There just isn't enough room under the bath.

If you have a plastic bath with fibre glass reinforcement, then chances are, when you empty the bath the water gets between the two layers and finally leaks out somewhere like you described.

Take out the waste and refit it but bedding it into a lot of silicone around the actual waste hole area. Some waste snow come with double wrapped washers that eliminate this little problem.

If this doesnt make sense I will post a little picture.

thanks for the responses

think i understand Grrinc, but a piccie would be great...

cheers everyone!

If you find its coming from the waste, throw away the useless rubber washer between the inside of the bath and the chrome 'plug ole' and use LSX sealant, available from plumbers merchants. Als try some PTFE tape around the thread.

Hope this pic helps. It shows that if a good sealing compound isnt used to bed the waste parts together, then water can penetrate the acrylic and fibreglas layers and leak out. I have had this a few times over the years, with Harold Moore baths actually which are supposed to be the dogs tackle.

That makes a lot of sense, I'd not come across the problem but fibreglass without a gel coat does become porous, maybe baths up and down he country are starting to erode away around the waste hole. Manufacturers should put a gel coat on afte they have cut the waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back