Tap continuously running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I realised the other day that I could hear water running through the pipes in my kitchen, but damned if I could find it. I then discovered tonight that the hose attached to the outside tap in my garden has been running - god knows for how long (hope my neighbours don't shop me for the hosepipe ban!)

I tried turning it off but it is as far to the closed position as it will go, with all my force, and it is still running freely.

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be, and whether I can fix it myself or will need a plumber? I have zero plumbing experience or knowledge, but am keen to learn and happy to have a go myself.

It's an old brass tap if that makes any difference, I have no idea what type though I'm afraid.

Thanks,
Anthony

Sponsored Links
Hi

Change the old tap completely, get one with check valve fitted.
Of course if a check valve is fitted elsewhere on the outside tap pipework no need.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
tincup said:
Hi

Change the old tap completely, get one with check valve fitted.
Of course if a check valve is fitted elsewhere on the outside tap pipework no need.

Hope this helps.

just out of curiousity why pay for a new tap if its (maybe) just the washer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back