any help with MS access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
basically i have a database in access. but i need it to do some excel stuff. i have a column 'total 1', 'total 2', 'total price', and 'vat'

what i need is for 'total price' to add total 1 and 2 together. vat needs to take number in total price and -15%. any ideas on this?

and no, this cant be done in excel. just if this doesnt work ill have to do the working out seperatly

also, i have made a form to enter date etc. its using justified view. what i want to be able to do is type the reference number in that box and for it to go to that record, not change the currect record. any ideas? its already set up as autonumber and indexed with no duplicates

Sponsored Links
andy said:
what i need is for 'total price' to add total 1 and 2 together. vat needs to take number in total price and -15%. any ideas on this?

and no, this cant be done in excel.

Surely they can both be done in excel. It's easy enough to add two cells together and then fill down, and the vat thing would be:
=(cell in question*0.85)

Did he mean minus 15% as in discount?

Sum * 0.85 * 1.175 = sum less 15% plus 17.5% vat

(Sum * 0.175) + (sum * 0.85) = Full vat on sum + 15% discounted sum

-??

Sponsored Links
You can make a calculated query using your existing table containing Total 1 and Total 2
Enter the following in an empty field
Total income:[Total 1]+[Total 2]
Next field enter VAT:[Total income]*.85
Run the query
Any errors are probably due to differences in field names which must be typed exactly as they appear in your tables

Then you can link to your forms. Did you look at the North Wind tutorial that comes with Access at all?

hermes said:
andy said:

and no, this cant be done in excel.

Surely they can both be done in excel. It's easy enough to add two cells together and then fill down, and the vat thing would be:
=(cell in question*0.85)

the formula part could be done in excel, but the database cant.

the vat and adding up parts aint too important, could easily manage them with a calc if needed.

most important part tho is in the form, getting it to find the record i type rather than change currect record

andy
also, i have made a form to enter date etc. its using justified view. what i want to be able to do is type the reference number in that box and for it to go to that record, not change the currect record. any ideas? its already set up as autonumber and indexed with no duplicates

I dont understand what you are meaning by this.

Within Access Forms you can search on ANYTHING any field start of a field or within a field.
Do you know how to use the search/find?

pop a command button on your form and follow the wizard, although the code produced by the wizards is a bit naf, it will do what you want it to do (from memory...)

This is a common problem, getting both spreadsheet and database functionality from a single application. Naturally MS solved it in the way that suits them: You need to use both.

Use Excel as the front end and link to a MS Access database source. If you haven't done this before then play with it for a while until you understand it.

This is a common problem, getting both spreadsheet and database functionality from a single application. Naturally MS solved it in the way that suits them: You need to use both.
a spreadsheet and a database are two different things totally.

Use Excel as the front end and link to a MS Access database source. If you haven't done this before then play with it for a while until you understand it.

I think you h ave things a bit the wrong way there

You can do just about anything with your access database - be it add numbers, search for them or whatever, its just a matter of knowing how to do it thats the issue!

Do a goooogle search for 'microsoft access' there are some brilliant helps out there. I use them a lot.
I surprise myself with what I can now do with Access.

Sponsored Links
Back