Overflow Dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
The overflow on the side of the house (about 9ft up) is permanently dripping at the moment and it seems to be full of water.

I thought the shower might be blocked (don't ask why!) so I stuck some heavy duty cleaner down it - this seemed to stop the dripping - so I thought - I've checked today and it seems to be dripping again!

Another problem seems to be when we use the shower head on the bathroom taps - once finished - water gushes out of the same overflow pipe.

All a bit of a nightmare really.

Any idea?

I think I have a problem with blockages and pressure - what do you think?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You obviously know very little about plumbing.
Have a look in your loft and you will see that your cold water tank is overflowing this may be due to your inlet ball valve not functioning closing off the incoming mains feed.
The reason the overflow stops/slows down when you use the shower/taps is beacuse you are draining it down faster than it is filling up.
Call a plumber to get it sorted soon especially if you are on a water meter.
Pete

Thanks for the info Fluffstar - and thanks for rubbing it in about not knowing anything about plumbing!

Been up into the loft - (yes I do know what that is at least) checked out what you suggested and it is okay - it is shutting off.

I've checked the upstairs loos and they are not overflowing.

It did seem to start when the Misses cleaned the rubbish that collects in the plug hole the on-suite shower. All the stuff collects in a filter - this was disposed off - but some of the rubbish collects below the filter - this was not disposed off and was washed down when we used the shower again. Could this have bunged up the pipes - or am I clutching at straws!

Ta.

First question is what is this "overflow" attached to? If It's only 9ft up on the side of the house it seems a bit low for an overflow on a tank in the loft? Sound more like a wc overflow or combined HW tank overflow.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Wellhard
It was said tongue in cheek as you mentioned blockages and pressure which do not relate to your problem.
No offence intended.

As towman says you have to source where the overflow is coming from first.

Cleaning out the shower trap will not cause an overflow to initiate.

Pete

Hi Fluffster & Towman

No offence taken Fluffster.

All is well - checked HW tank overflow and the ball cock is knackered and needs replacing.

I certainly know a lot more about plumbing than I use to.

I hope very good things happen to you both :)

Thanks again for the advice.

Regards

Paul

wellhard1

All is well - checked HW tank overflow and the ball cock is knackered and needs replacing.

I certainly know a lot more about plumbing than I use to.
Does the hot water tank have an overflow or are you talking header tank.

Hi Diyisfun

Must be the header tank - the one above the hot water tank.

Not so easy....
wellhard1 said:
...Another problem seems to be when we use the shower head on the bathroom taps - once finished - water gushes out of the same overflow pipe.
Do you have mains pressure feeding the cold bath tap? If so, when you use the shower attachment it may force it's way back up the hot pipe and cause the cold feed tank to overflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back