recurring Weeds between patio slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone suggest how to go about to deal with persistent weeds growing between slabs on a permanent basis?

Thanks

larry

Sponsored Links
the weeds grow because of a few things:

there is not enough "traffic" to kill them as they grow up

there is something for them to grow in

they want to P*** you off

Although a lot of effort for little gain, you could lift all the slabs, lay a weed proof membrain.

Remove the existing grouting and re point it with sand and cement (and a sprinkle of weed killer)

Spray area with weed killer every spring and again a bit later on in the year.

Its the fact that you dont walk enough on it that is the real problem (honest) we have a tarmac path, the bits that get rgularly walked on by us and neighbours etc is clear of any weeds, but the little side bits do get weeds, (Liitle traffic) its also the same reason you dont see weeds on a road (if ever you see in films old dissused runways you will see weeds because there is no traffic to kill them)

most of the path clears will do the job, but the best is as breezer says, repoint it

Pathclear is good, because it lasts the whole season, not impressed with it in the spray bottles though, I prefer to mix it in watering can, and pour in the cracks that way.

Rather than lifting the slabs, and laying some weed proof membrane, try sqeezing some strips of membrane down the gaps with an old knife. I have done this, and it works fine.

Sponsored Links
theres no point in putting a weed proof memebrane down under all the slabs. proper pointing will stop them coming through

I'm another Pathclear supporter, but, once you've put it on, don't disturb the soil surface e.g. by hoeing or pulling up weeds. It works by putting a thin non-germinating layer on the surface of the soil, so if you disturb it, more weeds will grow. If that happens, apply a bit more (from your red watering can)

Use a salt cellar and sprinkle salt along the joins every month or so. It only takes a short time but does a good job in keeping ordinary weeds down.

burn them with a gas weed lance or just a blow torch if you have one.

If you do it really well a couple of time burning out the roots you will knock them on the head.

Repeat as and when but I find if you go round and burn all the cracks late summer you burn any seeds that have blown in.

I have membrane under my slabs, and the little blighters still come thru, it doesnt help that OH has loads of bird feeders all over the place, and the birds are dropping seeds.

I pull them out bit at a time, as patio is quite big, then whack a solution of weed killer, but it still wont stop the problem of seeds blowing in and rooting though.

I still say "Pathclear" once or twice a year.

they dont come through from under the slabs. they grow in the cracks of the pointing, a membrane underneath matters not one......hang on i said all this a few months ago!

larrydiy said:
Hi
Can anyone suggest how to go about to deal with persistent weeds growing between slabs on a permanent basis?

Thanks

larry
Hi larrydiy
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here.......If you do decide to use a weedkiller,make sure it's systemic. This will be taken by the weed right through it's entire system down to it's roots. No chance of it coming back ....unless new seed germination. Some weeds (Japanese Knot weed) have roots/rhizomes 30ft long...tenacious little blighters.

Ghandalf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back