No/low pressure on Potterton Puma 80e combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had to remove 1 of my radiators in order to plaster a room, and in doing so (apart from getting me and the floor very wet) have managed to stop the hot water from working.

I blead the air out of this one before removing it but haven't touched the others. I realised I maybe should have blead all of them but I'll put it down to ignorance and pure novice factor for now?!

I have since replaced the radiator and the lock-out light on the boiler comes on after about 5 seconds after turning on the hot water. Ater resetting it the same happens. The pressure guage (black hand) reads next to zero. I take it the red hand is some kind of maximum?

Any advice on best thing to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Well I did find the presure valve and increased the pressure but left the valve in the on position some how and managed to blow the heat exchanger.

Called out a local plumber, nice enough bloke, he offered a replacement for around ₤450 but he recommended replacing the boiler for a new, better, more efficient one for ₤1200 all in.

My Puma 80e was installed in 1998 but i've only lived here 2 years.

In your opinion, is it worth replacing the heat exchanger?

cheers.

Sponsored Links
I would be very surprised if you have really have "blown" the heat exchanger!

There are usually many second hand ones available for about £60. For example we have two in stock! Would take about two hours to fit so about £120 labour.

Its your choice, about £200 or less to repair, or what I think is £1200 to replace it with a condensing boiler. But that may be a very budget replacement but if you choose that make sure its power flushed or at least fully guaranteed against dirt in the system. It will be about 15% more efficient which is very important with gas prices doubling every three
years.

Tony Glazier

DO tell us how the diagnosis of a "Blown" heat exchanger was made, we're all ears!

Sorry guys, didn't think you'd be on line last night!

I have to confess to leaving the pressure valve in the ON position ($hit) which in turn knackered the heat exchanger (so he said). He did take off the inner front cover and there was water dripping from the exchanger and it did look quite black but I wouldn't know what a broken heat exchanger looked like??

Oh and the electrics were tripped due to the leaking water over the front panel.

So he turned off the gas and hot water supply which was good of him and he didn't charge (he lives and works round corner from my house).

What d'ya reckon?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back