Washer will not drain/spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since my other washer is shot, I picked up a free "working" Washer (Whirlpool Imperial). I filled it with water and it will not drain and spin. I noticed that water is leaking out from underneath it too. I checked the hose(s) for blockage and kinks and found none. Any help PLEASE! I am at my witts end with washers. Where's a man when you need one :)

Sponsored Links
Breezer, I was hoping it was caused by us jarring it so much trying to get it out of the lady's basement. I sure hope they didn't know about this :(

If it does nothing (dead washer, no noise) during the drain/spin mode, check out the lid switch. As far as the leak goes, you'll have to open it up and see where it's coming from, possibly the pump. This is a separate issue than the first problem.

Sponsored Links
Handyman, it makes noise as if it is spinning, the water just does not drain and the barrel isn't spinning.

I think I found what's causing the leak, one of the rubber gasket looking thing (it's held on by a screw tightening clamp)that goes around a long round white plastic piece that holds water (don't know what it is called). Anyway, that gasket looks rotted and is allowing water to leak out.

Thanks

The lady that gave this washer to me just emailed and said she thinks it's not draining water and spining because it's not level. Would this cause this problem? I don't think so but it's worth asking.

If the washer is not draining in that instance I would check for a kinked or clogged drain hose first. If there is water already in the tub, put the washer into the drain mode and pull the hose out of the drain pipe. You should see a good stream of water come out of that pipe when its draining correctly. If not and the motor is running, I would check for a kinked or clogged hose.

Handyman, I did remove the hose and YES, water went everywhere. I'm giving up on this one too...supposed the buy another one tomorrow. Let's hope this one's not a lemon. Thanks for the suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back