Whilpool AWM 328

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
I have a Whilpool AWM 328. It sometimes stops on half way through a fill or more commonly, mid way through a rinse. I have checked that the water is filling correctly, and the detergent tray certainly seems to be taking on pleanty of water. We only use these liquid tabs so the tray is not caked up etc. The solenoid filter is clean. I have also blown a little air down the pressure switch tube to check it is free. It is.
Is there a way of finding out what is causing the program to halt?
Cheers.

PS Anyway to check the pressure switch, or is it best to replace it anyway?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Too may things can make it stop to make an accurate remote diagnosis.
Common problem on these is the cold fill valve going faulty during use.
You could try swapping the hot and cold valves over (not just the hoses) and trying the machine. If it then works you need to replace the faulty valve.

Dont think its that due to the fact the water is streaming in without stopping. How about testing the pressure switch while the wash is going through its cycle. Any one got any voltage test values for each stage of the cycle?
Cheers

First post you say it stops halfway through a fill, now you say water streams in without stopping.
One contradicts the other. No accurate diagnosis can be made from these statements.

Sponsored Links
No problem with the flow of water! When its on its on! But the machine seems to halt half way through a fill or half way through a rinse.
Does anyone know how to check the pressure switch as it goes through the cycle?
Cheers - I didnt make it very clear, sorry!

The pressure switch is a simple switch. It will have 240v across 1 set of terminals. The level of water dictates which set is live.
The pressure switch primarily measures water level. Whilst the water level remains constant the pressure switch state doesn't change.

Sleepyhead thankyou for your help so far.
My switch has 4 terminals and what looks like at least 2 or 3 adjustment screws which must adjust for 'light load' etc etc
Any further ideas? Do you know where i could get some kind of manufacturers test manual or similar?
Cheers

If your pressure switch was faulty the problem would be a constant one. eg. overfilling, not filling. The pressure switch wouldn't stop the machine halfway through a rinse. It controls the level of water in the machine. When a switch is activated it sends power to a connector on the programmer or module which steps it on to the next stage and breaks power to another connector which turns off the water. The screws you refer to adjust the tension on the switches. Screwed too far one way it will overfill, too far the other way it won't fill at all.
I think your barking up the wrong tree with the pressure switch.
The fault you initialy describe has all the symptoms of a faulty cold fill valve. Works ok initially and goes faulty during use leading to loss of neutral or live feed thereby stopping the machine.
As per my first reply, try swapping the water inlet valves over. Run it through a few washes (not hottest wash). If it works ok it proves the valve is faulty. If it still doesn't work it has eliminated the most common fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back