Asbestos Soil Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have what I believe to be an Asbestos Cement soil pipe in my flat, which is on the 3rd floor (top floor).

I plan to relocate my toilet to the left of the waste pipe that connects into the stack (also asbestos). I also need to trim about 4\\\" off the waste pipe before fitting a 90 deg connector that will branch out towards the new toilet location.

Is there a quick and simple way to connect a plastic 90 deg connector to and asbestos cement waste pipe?

I was thinking that a Marley straight rubber coupling (for connecting CI to plastic) might do. Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Steve

Sponsored Links
i think a rubber coupling is the only way. I don't think it is the best way tho. If i was you, i would replace the whole soil pipe for plastic. Only way to be sure.

image1.jpg

Probably this sort of thing. You need to be careful cutting asbestos cement. Damp any potential dust down with a water spray. Vacuum around work area afterwards. Put waste bits of AC in double plastic bags and dispose of responsibly.

micky p said:
i think a rubber coupling is the only way. I don't think it is the best way tho. If i was you, i would replace the whole soil pipe for plastic. Only way to be sure.

I don't think I would be any better off I'm afraid Micky. The soil pipe comes up through the floor from the flat below and the branch off to my WC is only 5 inches above the floor. I could cut the vertical stack at that point and connect a plastic stack to the remaining asbestos one, but then I have the added problem of feeding the remaining vent through my flat roof and 'making the roof good' afterwards.

I think it might be of benefit to me to disconnect the existing pan from the waste pipe and remove it, then use a coupler such as Chrishutt suggests (before I trim it back), connect a 90 deg bend and then connect to the new loo and try it out.

If it works OK then I can disconnect it all again, do the trimming required, then refit the new loo into its designated position.

If its doesn't work, then I'll need to think again, obviously.

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
micky p said:

I don't think I would be any better off I'm afraid Micky. The soil pipe comes up through the floor from the flat below and the branch off to my WC is only 5 inches above the floor. I could cut the vertical stack at that point and connect a plastic stack to the remaining asbestos one, but then I have the added problem of feeding the remaining vent through my flat roof and 'making the roof good' afterwards.

I think it might be of benefit to me to disconnect the existing pan from the waste pipe and remove it, then use a coupler such as Chrishutt suggests (before I trim it back), connect a 90 deg bend and then connect to the new loo and try it out.

If it works OK then I can disconnect it all again, do the trimming required, then refit the new loo into its designated position.

If its doesn't work, then I'll need to think again, obviously.

Thanks for the advice.

o ..ok i must of mis read the 3rd floor part lol. Bugger by the sounds of it. Looks like you have no choice then really. good luck.

I think the OP should do a risk assessment before he starts :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The HSE Commission has today informed ministers that it will recommend approval of revised asbestos regulations.

dated 4th July 2006.

The new regulations introduce a lower single control limit of 0.1 fibres per cm3 of air, measured over 4hours.

3- edited to save writing it all out. However all work with asbestos containing materials, including TC, must be undertaken by trained workers following a risk assessment and in accordance with appropriate controls to prevent exposure to asbestos fibres. (see HSE Press Notice E027:06 'new research confirms low risk of exposure from asbestos containing textured coatings'at
http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2006.e06027.htm )

My concerns would be the occupants below. The fines are high if you expose them to asbestos fibres.

Asbestos is very fragile, what happens if the pipe breaks and you have to go into the flat below to repair.

Is the landlord/freeholder ok about you altering the pipe, check you're paperwork or ask before you do anything.

Thanks doitall.

I must admit to not having thought about the people below or pipe breakages etc. Some valid points to consider. Thanks again.

The owner of the flat below, when he was doing up his flat in readiness for renting it out, located his pan in the same location as I wish to put mine. If I can get hold of him I'll ask him how he went about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back