Combination boiler install in bed room,safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all ,

Thanks in advance .

I am going to change the whole centre Heating systerm .and the plumber has just told me the new Ideal CONDENSING COMBI boiler is going to be put in my second bedroom cupboard where the hot tank is at moment .
My concern is
1 would it be safe as there will be waste gas out.

2 Will that be too noisy when sleep in that bedroom.

Thats all I can think about any suggestion welcome.

Sponsored Links
1, It will be perfectly safe in a bedroom if installed correctly. Get a carbon monoxide detector for peace of mind.

2, If you are a light sleeper it could well keep you awake at night.

you can install a room sealed appliance in a bedroom, but there are minimum clearences regarding position of flue ect. also you are right to consider the noise issue , i suppose it depends how deep a sleeper you are, most modern boilers arn`t that noisey. Could it go in the loft ?

We had our Combi fitted in our bedroom on advice of installer because of lack of space in kitchen. The best thing we have ever done was remodel the kitchen to accomodate the boiler.
The noise although not overbearing was a nuisance.
We are now very happy with it in the kitchen.

JonB

Sponsored Links
jennyy said:
Dear all ,

Thanks in advance .

I am going to change the whole centre Heating systerm .and the plumber has just told me the new Ideal CONDENSING COMBI boiler

What model?

is going to be put in my second bedroom cupboard where the hot tank is at moment .
My concern is

Get it in the loft, even if it means you go through the roof tiles. You need a shoot down ladder, boarded to boiler and a light over boiler. A rail around hatch if near boioer.

Doctor Drivel said:
jennyy said:
Dear all ,

Thanks in advance .

I am going to change the whole centre Heating systerm .and the plumber has just told me the new Ideal CONDENSING COMBI boiler

What model?

is going to be put in my second bedroom cupboard where the hot tank is at moment .
My concern is

Get it in the loft, even if it means you go through the roof tiles. You need a shoot down ladder, boarded to boiler and a light over boiler. A rail around hatch if near boioer.

Also a cage around boiler and an electrical isolation switch outside of the loft if you want it to be up to current standards :rolleyes:

oh and also ****ed off engineers to fix it when it goes wrong ;)

jennyy said:
....the new Ideal CONDENSING COMBI boiler
I'd get some advice before going for an Ideal boiler. They've produced some disasters in recent years.

"""""the plumber has just told me the new Ideal CONDENSING COMBI boiler is going to be put in my second bedroom"""

I dont think that your plumber should be TELLING you anything!

He can recommend but at the end of the day its YOU who should be telling him.

Bedrooms are perfecly safe but not ideal because of the noise disturbance!

Tony

Is this the ideal boiler that is the same as the biasi. .....If so there are better boilers out on the market if that is the case. depends on how much you are wanting to spend.

Estate agents don't recomend bedrooms.

I refurbed a house and put combi in bedroom, on advice of estate agent I moved it, buyers are aware of the problem so not a good selling point.

Lofts not ideal either. I had a recent call from someone in Bempton who couldn't get up to loft to see what was actually wrong. I said you'd be better geting a neighbour or someone to go and make sure it doesn't just need reseting, to get my expertise out to Bempton and back home is 1/2 a days labour, if all I have to do is represurise and operate reset you will have wasted your money, I'm not about to waste my time I'me too busy for that. He didn't phone back.

I do fit them in lofts but only use quality boilers not likely to trip out weekly, put filling loop and pressure guage in old airing cupboard.

Wouldn't fit one in loft for someone incapable of getting up to it.

Get an inspection pit dug in the living room floor, fit boiler to a jig right above it, build a vertical flue shaft through the house up to the roof and light the boiler with two 500 watt halogen bulbs set at 45 degrees.

some boilers are more noisey than others,dhw pre heat [intermittent fireing] can be a source of annoyance.
bedroom installation is last resort,although easyier to install there as most pipes are there already.but i have found condense exit is a problem in terraced houses,a pump can be fitted but more noise.
remember a new boiler is normally quiet but after a few years it will be more noisey as wear in fan,pump,etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back