combi boiler pressure problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there i have a worcester 240 combi boiler that is blowing its pressure release valve at just over 3 bar

hot water is all ok
the boiler pressure when cold is always and has been 1 bar

it does not loose any pressure, only when the boiler is in central heating mode does the pressure keep climbing until it blows the prv

have read the faq's/search pages so i know its something to do with the expansion vessell pressure(big red tank)

when i tested the value(schraeder valve) on the vessel there was No water coming out from it just a little bit of air----but that was when the system was cold and at 1 bar

so I thought it just needs pumping back up with a bit more air.
pumped back up to 0.8psi after draining boiler

put system back up to 1 bar as normal,ran central heating with all rads at max settings on the minium setting on the boiler and it went up to about 2-2.5 bar, so increased temperature setting on boiler to middle position(no 3)as i got to 3 and over i switched the boiler off as still rising :confused:

so with is still at a high pressure i turned off the mains and pressed in the schraeder valve slightly and instead of air coming out of it water was coming out instead. :cry:

So i'm 99% i need a new EV,if so where are the cheap places to buy them from on the net and when i get the new(if thats what i need) will i have to pump it up again or will it come ready pressurized??? so i can just pop it in :?:

my boiler is a worcester 240 and looking in my instruction manual the GC part number is 378 027 or the whs part number is zmmis082

Sponsored Links
Haven't you already posted this question? If so please delete this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back