Plaster Directly On Electric Cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I\\\'ve got a channel that\\\'s about 12mm deep, and a cable to a light switch which is 4mm deep.
If I put oval conduit in, I reckon I\\\'ll have to chisel into the brick work to leave enough depth for a decent layer of plaster.

Is this what needs to be done, or can you get away with plastering directly on to the cable?

Any thoughts / comments appreciated.

Cheers,
Fitz.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
you can, but you must not, as it has no mechanical protecton

breezer said:
you can, but you must not, as it has no mechanical protecton

If the cable is sheathed it does not need any further protection, no need for capping or conduit

pvc/pvc cable requires no mechanical protection plastered in a wall provided they run in the safe zones.

Although we all no its good practice to fit capping for impact protection.

If the cable is run in the safe zone as mentioned already, there is no need for any protection for this cable. Capping is advised where someone else is doing the plastering later to avoid trowel damage. Chiselling into the brickwork is to be avoided for cable runs, since it weakens the building structure.

Next Please.

Jaymack

Surprised at you, Breezer. ;)

Flat twin and earth cable already has mechanical protection - that's what the grey sheath is for. It can be buried directly in plaster, but as others have said, capping (plastic or galvanised) is better. And if you have 12mm plaster depth that is plenty deep enough for capping.

According to Building Regs, you can chisel vertically up to 1/3 of the thickness of the wall. Horizontal chases are limited to 1/6th wall thickness.

just put it in a conduit. Get galvanised, the plastic stuff always splits. It just might save having to rip it all out when someone hammers in a tack for a picture frame and gets a nice bang :)

ye, probably, I was just bored and found myself happily going through writing obvious comments on loads of questions completely oblivious to when they were posted lol :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back