Strange type of primatic system with hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted TRV's to radiators, filled system , but no hot water. The hot water tank which is in the loft, is steel, insulated and rectangular ,with a small header tank which fills the hot water and central heating system . I have never seen anything like it before?? Inside the tank is a open tube that has a type of primatic arrangement? immersed is a heat exchnger vessel .Since draining the system the hot water gravity feed pipes do not get hot....tried bleeding...no success... the top of the tank is open with a removable insulated lid....anyone seen these before??? if so how do I get the hot water gravity feed working????? There are no other tanks in the bungalow....

Sponsored Links
Sounds ancient and best donated to local industrial museum. Best get a modern system, perhaps an unvented cylinder.

Sponsored Links
backfill the grav thru the boiler draincock :idea:

Sounds like an Elson tank.........they are steadily starting to leak so the best advise I could give is o get it changed, they are straight forward to swap to conventional plastic tanks.

Hi, thanks for replies , I reckon your right ....it is a very old Elson tank.....the coil is just a cylinder on its side beneath the hot/cold water separator device.... I tried filling through boiler drain....no luck...disconnected top hot water pipe connection to tank, .... no luck.... as a last resort i have tried taking boiler to high level limit. stat (bypass boiler stat) big glugs and rumble. as water was forced into top pipe....not sure if it is working yet ... will keep you posted
Well I have finally sorted problem....it was not the Elson tank...it was the previous plumber!! the gravity hot water supply and return pipes dropped down from the tank to above ceiling then along for 3 metres then down through ceiling to the boiler. The original plumber had the gravity hot water return pipe sloping upwards after it dropped down from the Elson tank.....consequently the cooler return water could barely move. I reversed the slope and the system heated up almost immediately....such is life and a lot of sweat and head scratching...Talking to the client I found that the water had never really been hot...just warm.for twenty two years!!!... hows that for persistance????...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back