RADIATOR PROBLEMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
C/H system was upgraded with new boiler about two years ago. After this the system worked OK apart from two radiators running via microbore at the 'end' of the system, which did not get hot.

Explanation given was that the pipes were blocked up as they were microbore. (The radiators had worked prior to the boiler being installed).

I have however slackened the inlet side, to find a good pressure of hot water, and the same with the outlet. (I have no means of measuring the pressure so I don't know if there is a problem whereby some feeds have been crossed?) Slackening off the bleed screw also gives good pressure of water. All water is completely clear.

One radiator warms up just an inch in from the inlet and to the full height of the radiator, the other (a towel rail gets just a touch of heat all over - after about 20 minutes. I have tried stepping up the pump and opening the 'exit' valves fully - but there is no improvement.

Any ideas out there. ?

Sponsored Links
why not remove said items take into garden and stick a hose ) if you are allowed to) and see how much sludge comes out

Thanks Breezer

Believe it or not that was plan b/ ......

but before I got involved in time and mess, I was trying to figure out why the water ran clear and why the rads stopped working after the installation, also why the top half of the rad was not getting hot.

If I dissed the outlet side (obviously capping the return pipe off) could I then see if the pressure would go through the rad and into a bucket or similar, or should I just go straight for the garden hose stuff.

I have a fair degree of DIY skills but as you can see, radiators are not my forte...

tops of rads usualy dont get hot because of air, you need to bleed the rad

Sponsored Links
Hi both,

Thanks for the advice, however re bleeding, as per my first post the pressure was good and the water was clear when I slackened the bleed screw, also re balancing, (perhaps my terminology led you astray) I had opened the exit valve fully and stepped up the pump pressure as well.

Regarding the top of the radiator not getting hot - I had expected that if there was a sludge build up then the symptom would be a hot top and cold bottom.

Thanks again for your input.

Regards

monoblockman

Balancing involves adjusting ALL the rads on the system.

The instructions are given in the FAQ section.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

A question though, I had shut off all the rads in the system excepting the 2 which were not working, and therefore thought that the water had to go through them.. or am I thinking/talking rubbish?

Regards

monoblockman

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back