Toilet Water Smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The water in the toilet of my basement flat has a sort of musty smell that seemingly varies in strength day-to-day. Or maybe that is just my sense of smell adjusting or being different day-to-day! All I have done so far is to keep the lid down, put one of those freshener blocks in the cistern and a couple of air-fresheners in the bathroom. The smell seems to cut through this however (as I said, some days worse than others). It is not a dirty, sewage like smell, just a sort of dank/musty smell. Please Help, I've only just moved in and would like visitors not to turn their noses up.
If there is no plumbing solution can anyone identify a really good air-freeshener that cuts the smell out without smeeling too strongly of air-freshener (if you know what I mean).
thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is it the water in the cistern? Or could it be that the room itself smells damp? A water (or sewage) leak is quite common. If you have an old solid floor it might be damp, so might the walls or any matting or flooring (vinyl can be wet underneath). If you hav efloorboards they might be damp and rotten.

Oh yes - and it will help to have an extractor fan running quietly. One that comes on with the light switch is very convenient; you can also turn it on in preparation for your visitors.

A bleach block (or two) in the cistern will kill mould instead of just trying to mask the scent.

Hi John,
I'm sure it's the water as when I lift the lid, this is where the smell seems to be coming froms from. I had the whole flat treated for damp before moving in (plaster hacked off, extreme job) -so it should not be damp. The smell is specific to the toilet. When I open the lid it is stronger (though the smell creeps out from under the lid and taints the area of the flat near the toilet)

:idea: the cistern overflow :!:

where does it discharge to, as you are in a basement? Could the smell be coming in there?

drain the cistern and give it a good scrub out, includinbg the lid, then put bleach in it overnight, as well. They often get very dirty and slimy.

Sponsored Links
what's a cistern overflow? What does it look like? Forgive my ignorance

Good suggestions from John.....is the lid old? could be it`s absorbed micturation :mad:

The lid is quite shiny and new I'm afraid. The bathroom is spotless and has been bleached out and scrubbed by me a couple of time since moving in. If I put my nose down to the bowl (great fun) it smells stronger. Where does this water go to when flushed.? Could the smell be returning from there?

onayrb said:
what's a cistern overflow? What does it look like? Forgive my ignorance

Bryano, The cistern overflow is a pipe, usually white plastic and about 18mm diameter, inside the cistern, just above water level, and usually leading outside through the wall.

In the event of the float valve failing, and excessive water running into the cistern, it enables the excess water to discharge outside the house rather than spilling onto the floor.

p.s. I know yoyu've cleaned the bathroom, but have you cleaned inside the cistern?

p2634833_l.jpg
<--- cistern
--->
p4161789_l.jpg
-
-->
p4158683_l.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Excellent work John with the pictures and description - with my username also. Thanks
I'm going to get serious with the cistern and it's overflow, this weekend on your advice. I may even try and discover where the overflow goes but that might involve knocking walls down, so might not. If this thread does not re-appear in a week or so, please consider your response succesful and have my gratitude. If not, I'll see you back here.
thaks John and nige for input. Off to get some more bleach.

Quick note to thank you for advice John. After cleaning and sinking a couple of bleach blocks in the cistern, smell is much less and seemingly on its way out. Thanks again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back