cold radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help me? I recently installed a Towel Radiator in my Bathroom. Now when I turn the central heating on only a few of the the rads get hot. I have 7 rads. The Kitchen rad gets hot and it is closest to the Boiler, but the Hall and Living Room stay cold. Upstairs two Bedroom rads get hot. The Towel Rad and one of the Bedroom Rads stay cold. I have a Condensing Boiler. I have bled all the radiators and some air came out all of them, but Bedroom 2 and the Bathroom failed to produce any water. All Bedroom rads have thermostats. The central heating tree is as follows: Boiler next is the Kitchen, Living room, and then the Hall. Above boiler are Bedroom 1, Bedroom 2 and then Bedroom 3. The last is the Bathroom, which is the Towel Rail. No water came out of this radiator when bled, but i heard water entering when connected to central heating. Checked water pressure gauge it’s 1.6 Bar. The Boiler make is ICOS IDEAL. Its 2 years old.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd take all the heads off the thermostats on the rads first. In the hot weather I've had call outs believe it or not from people with heating not working..it was the rad stats shutting even on max. If nothing else it eliminates them. You will also be able to check if the pins on the stats are stuck..tap them with a small hammer to make sure they are free, but don't hit them too hard.

Then shut off all upstairs rads and see if the downstairs all get hot when fully open.

This may seem very basic..but if you've got 1.6 bar then water should come ****ing out of the radiator vent/bleed nipple with some force when you open it..sooo either your gauge is telling porkies, which is not unknown, or the vent nipple is blocked, and you need to take the pip out and prod it with a small needle (I use a small allen key)..being careful to turn rad off at both valves, as if you lose the pip or can't get it back in..its all fun fun fun as you spray the expensive wallpaper with blackish orrible stuff!! Once you have the pip back in then open the rad valves, then open the vent pip again and see if water comes out.

report back when you have done this.

Alfredo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back