Removing Radiator - Stuck union nut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remove the radiator for decoration, i closed the manual control value and lockshield value and bleed the radiators, this caused the boiler to loose pressure.

I tried undoing the union nut but it doesnt move at all. I am trying to undo the right hand nut by turning it towards me (i.e next to control value) but the bloody thing does not move at all even after putting my whole body weight behind it :cry: . Any suggestion as how what may be the problem?

The second problem is when i try to the fill the boiler to move the pressure bar up the radiator leaks from bleed value even when the manual control value is fully closed is it suppose to do this?

Sponsored Links
Both valves need to be fully closed. You may have valves which are so poor they dont fully close and pass water.
is one of the valves a Thermostatic? Some of these type do not fully close and you will need the decorating cap to close it fully. Alternatively u could try inserting a five pence piece between the valve an the valve head.
If it is not a TRV, i.e. just a lockshield valve with a different head then you may have to either freeze the pipes or drain off altogether.
If you end up draining the whole system it would be a good idea to replace all the valves and fit new TRVs to the rads.
Note that if you have no bypass on your system you will need to leave one rad with just lockshields. Usually this will be the one in the same location as the room stat.

1, One of the radiator valves must not be closing fully.

2, Don't understand your description but you should be turning the nut anticlockwise to undo it.

Thanks for the quick reply. Its a standard value looks like lockshield value with no numbers on it so i guess its a defective value.

I was trying to undo the radiator by following this image reference
radundoah8.th.jpg
may be i should turn it other way :oops:

Btw how do i drain the system? Its a BAISI combi boiler with digital display which is about 2 yr old

Sponsored Links
You should be undoing the union the conventional way while looking at the pipework from the direction of the radiator. Your drawing looks correct.

Longer spanner? Got an open-ended spanner? I think it's 24mm, may be wrong though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back