Telltale signs - cowboy plumbers and heating engineers?

I know several chaps of very high standing, very respected honest boys who know their stuff who use mobile phones only, do not ever advertise (they are in the enviable position that have no need to)

they aint cowboys.

as for spotting em I have no idea some of the best cowboys that i am aware of are very presentable and well spoken, just could not find their arse with a map

:)

Sponsored Links
Of course if someone comes well recommended you have a good chance of getting someone decent, but I know I personally wouldn't employ somebody without having either a fixed line phone number or address.

Anyway, there are far more dooodgy customers out there than plumbers.

Does anyone know how to spot a dodgy customer (one who only gives a mobile number perhaps?).........

Tips for customers:

- don't say you have done all your research on the internet
- you have heard Kestons are very good (this tells us you have done all your research on the internet)
- you have been ripped off by other heating engineers (warning lights start to flash)
- we must all be earning £80K per year (warning lights flicker)
- you will buy all the materials (because you want to take away any chance of a profit)
- you want a price breakdown to the minutest detail (this is customer speak for - if it takes longer its your fault and tough luck, if you finish a little quicker than expected I want some money back).

But joking apart, best by far is recommendation.

We like working for customers that have been recommended to us, its a two way street.

How about if a CORGI engineer does the following

turns up ten minutes before the boiler breaksdown
fixes it free of charge
gives you ten pounds for allowing him into your property
shoots his boss
and signs over his first born to you in bondage

WOULD that make you happy

;)

:):):):):)

Sponsored Links
In my work its compulsory for us to show Corgi cards on entry..and we get checked on..and we get *******ed if we don't.

How to avoid a cowboy plumber..its not that difficult
1)get recommendations from friends/neighbours/colleagues
2)Nip into your "friendly" plumbers merchants. If they are a half decent bunch they will give you two or three names of reputable tradesmen, and most of them have an idea of who is dodgy and who is not..they have ears.

Don't be afraid to ask to see examples of their work. I've always found happy customers most obliging if they are approached in the right way..bottle of wine/box of chocs as a thankyou for giving a testimonial or letting someone look at work you've done..some say no, but others are quite chuffed for some reason.

Don't employ a bloke whose nickname locally is Leaky Eric or suchlike. if he's got such a moniker its sometimes deserved.

Local companies that have been trading for yonks are usually OK as they'd have gone under if no good, but they may be pricier..but its often a price worth paying if they are a solid outfit.

You just have to ask around and put a few feelers out really. We all see some pretty gross work out there from time to time, but MOST plumbers will try and do a good job.

Alfredo

Alfredo must be a CORGI Inspector having to show his card on arrival.

Nothing wrong with that! Somebody has to do it I suppose.

I do have to admit that we try to avoid cowboy customers. We try to get BT number knowing if there is a problem we can keep on calling them at little cost compared with a mobile.

With an absentee landlord we ask for a cash deposit on arrival unless we are able to check their credentials vis the internet or our security systems.

Tony

"Alfredo must be a CORGI Inspector having to show his card on arrival."

Tony

I work in the social housing sector and the tenants are plagued by thieves posing as workmen who prey on the elderly and vulnerable so showing your Corgi ID is compulsory as far as my employer is concerned....even though I've known a lot of em for years now..and they see the signwritten van outside its one of our golden rules...Tenants all get a feedback form to fill in so they soon find out who does what. It does get a bit silly though as i have my badge on a clip on my T shirt for all to see, yet some daft so and so's say "you didn't show me your badge" unless you stuff the thing in their face!!

I've not seen a Corgi inspector in six years as it happens, but we are regulated from "within" and our work is externally QC'd to keep us on our toes

Hey ho

Alfredo

More like BLT..when I stop for me bait that is :LOL: BT=Before Transco and BO...I'l have to give that some thought..in about another five years maybe.....

Alfredo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back