13A fuse protecting my CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a property where the central heating system and water system had been drained down because the property had been empty for about 4 months.

On filling the systems I have overcome most propblems but have stumbled across one that I'd appreciate some advice on.

After filling and bleeding the CH system I turned on the gas and attempted to fire up the boiler. The boiler came on but after a minute there was a number of loud bags. I'd experienced this before at my house and this was because the pump was faulty. On inspection I found the pump wasn't pumping. I gave it a few knocks with a hammer but nothing!

I went and purchased a new pump and replaced the existing one. Turned on the system to find that the pump didn't pump, it just kind of hummed (or buzzed). I tested te voltage and found nothing!!!!

After going downstairs I checked th boiler and found this was dead as well (it had obviously been alive prior to this). When I went to check the fuse on the switch I found this was 13A. From my limited knowledge I know this was far too high.

I know I should have checked this originally and as a result have probably blown the new pump. What I'd like to know is where or not this will have damaged the boiler (Potterton Supreme) or whether it will just have blown the internal 3A fuse????

The system also incorporates a 3 way mid position valve (Siemens), I'm not sure if this will have been damaged but just incase it has I have spoken to a local merchant who sells replacement Honeywell ones. Are these interchangable (in terms of wiring) or should I be calling a heating engineer to sort it all out. I'm fairly competent in terms of my skills but know my limits (when someone tells me to give up) :)

Thanks for a great site, hope you can help,

Terry

Sponsored Links
I think you have a system with multiple problems and I would get a heating engineer out to check the system over from top to bottom. Sounds as though you may need an electrician also, and yes the fuse should be 3 amp.

This is not a situation for the untrained in view of the risks involved.

Alfredo

Thanks for the advice,

It's obviously not as simple as I'd have hoped.

Many thanks,

Terry

Sponsored Links
The estate agent had got Yorkshire Water and the gas people to confirm that the utilities were safe to turn on. This had been one about a week prior to me taking possession.

I had bled the pump (both old and new) prior to turning on the boiler (I only followed advice on here that I found in passed posts from other people).

Seems I have messed up, I was only trying to sort things out myself though. But I apologise for my stupidity anyway.

Terry

I apologise Teggs..my point although badly conveyed was don`t f*ck with your gas..water maybe...didn`t mean to be offensive.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back