Toilet plumbing question, please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, I am wanting to change my bathroom around and need a little advice on some exposed toilet waste pipe that I would like to remove if possible. The toilet as it stands is not above where the pipework dissapears into the floor (about 3' away) and is attached by a length of pipe work with some sort of vent in it (polypipe spv42). I would like to move the toilet and remove this pipework as not only is it unsightly but the vent smells. Can anyone please tell me why this vent is there. The toilet is approx 4m from the rear wall of the house where the soil stack is located. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ropeboy 88 wrote:

Good morning

Not a great start but let`s persevere..

The toilet as it stands is not above where the pipework dissapears
into the floor (about 3' away)

Having second thoughts right about now....

and is attached by a length of pipe work with some sort of vent in it

Bye......

Im happy to admit to my very basic knowledge on plumbing matters. I am a reasonably competent chap though and feel happy to tackle most things (apart from plastering!). Any advce would be very gratefully recieved.

Can't understand why Bamber is so rude to you.

Why was the pan installed so far away from the soil pipe? Is there something in the shape of the room? Why on earth didn't the installer put it closer to the wall?

Unfortunately the vent has to be there to allow ventilation of the soil pipe and to allow air to enter when the WC is flushed, otherwise water rushing down will produce a vacuum and could suck the water out of traps in other WCs. Normally the vent takes the form of a continuation of the soil pipe up the outside of the house to the roof line, where it has a cage to prevent birds entering.

That said the vent is probably old and dirty because it should have a flap inside, which prevents air and smell from coming out - I assume it's mushroom shaped? The flap is inside the cap, covering the downward apertures. When the flap gets dirty it sticks in the open position. You should be able to shorten the pipework and move the pan closer to the soil pipe where it goes down through the floor, this is easy and requires only a saw to cut the pipes. If you can't do this, at least buy a new vent, as this might stop the smells.

Sponsored Links
RigidRaider said:
Can't understand why Bamber is so rude to you.

He`s a depressed dad.............see other post ;) I thought it was quite an amusing answer :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back