Vokera Excell 96E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some inspiration, if possible!

My boiler - the Vokera Excell 96E LPG - is registering a flue blocked light most of the time. Occasionally, it will work well. I had an emergency plumber out today to look at it, and he cleaned out the parts he could see taking away some dust and debris. As you would have guessed it, the boiler behaved impeccably while he was in!

After a bill of £81, he left (after 20 minutes) and I returned to the boiler to find the red flue light blocked on again!! I managed to get a hold of him and he returned and phoned Vokera. Their reckoning was either a new Air Pressure Switch or (both) a new fan.

Would you agree with this? Is this something that could be replaced by ourselves or should we get an expert out???

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Kira said:
I'm looking for some inspiration, if possible!

My boiler - the Vokera Excell 96E LPG - is registering a flue blocked light most of the time. Occasionally, it will work well. I had an emergency plumber out today to look at it, and he cleaned out the parts he could see taking away some dust and debris. As you would have guessed it, the boiler behaved impeccably while he was in!

After a bill of £81, he left (after 20 minutes) and I returned to the boiler to find the red flue light blocked on again!! I managed to get a hold of him and he returned and phoned Vokera. Their reckoning was either a new Air Pressure Switch or (both) a new fan.

Would you agree with this? Is this something that could be replaced by ourselves or should we get an expert out???

Any advice would be gratefully received.

if he charged £81 to fix it and has not, ask him what the charge is for if it needs a new part he should of done this first time around.

Tell him you charge £81 an hour as job experiance working on your boiler.

The fan and venturi probably just need cleaning although in theory the APS could be faulty but thats unlikely.

The manufacturer's are trained to always say "replace" as that nets them a sale!

Dealing with those parts should be by a competent CORGI registered engineer.

I would say that the original engineer should be invited to return to do the job properly!

Tony

Thanks for the replies.

To be fair, the bloke works for one of these companies and £69 per hour is what they charge. When he came out, the boiler was working fine (isn't it always the way) and then decided to show its true colours when he left.

He gave me the option of getting the parts ordered and fitted and quoted £160 for the fan, and £85 for the APS. Needless to say, I won't be getting this company out for again as it will cost me another £69 per hour!!!

Is cleaning the fan and venturi (whatever that is - I can't see it at all in my parts manual!) a job only for a Corgi Registered professional?

Sponsored Links
Kira said:
Thanks for the replies.

To be fair, the bloke works for one of these companies and £69 per hour is what they charge. When he came out, the boiler was working fine (isn't it always the way) and then decided to show its true colours when he left.

He gave me the option of getting the parts ordered and fitted and quoted £160 for the fan, and £85 for the APS. Needless to say, I won't be getting this company out for again as it will cost me another £69 per hour!!!

Is cleaning the fan and venturi (whatever that is - I can't see it at all in my parts manual!) a job only for a Corgi Registered professional?

Next time dont REACTFAST get your local plumber in not the nation rip off merchants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back